Congratulations Stephen!!! + Explorer Convertible | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Congratulations Stephen!!! + Explorer Convertible

felsmann

Reaction score
City, State
HB, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer Sport
Alright Moderator!

This is a great forum to open, I look forward to reading up.

And to start here is some news about the upcoming Soft top:

Ford Explorer Convertible for 2001
published: 16 February 2000

date of revision: none

source: withheld

Sources at ASC (American Sun Roof) have reported that they
have been working on a Ford Explorer convertible concept that will feature both hard
and soft tops.

This past week, sources from Ford's Dearborn, Michigan wind tunnel have been testing
the finished prototypes and are reporting that the Convertible Explorer has been
approved for late 2001 production.

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD 5spd
Warrior Twist
www.explorer4x4.com/thaven_juan.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey look at at that. They made me the moderator! I had no idea they were going to do that! Dead Link Removed I look forward to some good discussions! And I got my 5th little Explorer!

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
97 Explorer Limited 4X4 SOHC V6
98 Lexus LS400

Congratulations indeed Stephen! Some good Maryland representation on the site now! Dead Link Removed I have a picture of an Explorer they were testing this top on somewhere. It was in the Automobile Field Guide, some sort of truck guide for the years new trucks, it looks pretty interesting and would be a rather neat introduction.

------------------
Tim Y.
1996 Explorer XLT
4.0L OHV 4x4

Is it just a variant of the Sport?

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

Congrats Stephen. I am usually just a lurker and I rarely post but I had to say that I always enjoy your sensible and knowledgeable posts. I was a mechanic at a Ford dealership for 10 years before moving on to bigger and better things. I still enjoy working on my own vehicle and I miss all the new and technical stuff I got to see. I look forward to this new forum. Keep up the good work.

------------------
92 4dr 4.0L 4x4
K&N, modified airbox
dynomax exhaust
31/10.50/15 on stock rims
Rancho 5000's
more to come

Well thank you! I really appreciate to compliment!

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

I think Ford is looking into this option because of the plans for the Explorer sport to turn into the Bronco name plate. I'm probably just stating the obvious, but considering the fact that the Bronco was a convertible vehicle and the fact that there are spy photos of a topless Explorer, it seems that there is an inevitable change from the Explorer Sport to the Bronco.

And ditto to us2btech comment! Dead Link Removed
------------------
Tim Y.
1996 Explorer XLT
4.0L OHV 4x4

[This message has been edited by NoBoundaries (edited 03-27-2000).]

Thanks Tim! The Bronco name will be used, thats fact. True, the Bronco was a convertible, I had forgotten that.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

Aright, congratulations Stephen, if anyone deserved this it's you Dead Link Removed This new explorer/ bronco, what size is it? Is it like the full size or the broncoII. What class will it be in, kinda like the two door chevy tahoe that size? I was hoping for a while that Ford would bring a full size bronco type of vehicle back, I know I'd get one. This is the first I've heard of it so I guess I need to get more into the loop. Thanks in advance for any info and again congratulations Stephen!

I think it will pretty much be a 2dr Explorer. Since Chevy/GMC is discontinuing the 2dr Tahoe/Yukon because of poor sales, I think Ford will learn from this and not make it a full size, that's pretty much why they walked away from the full sizee Bronco in the first place.

------------------
Tim Y.
1996 Explorer XLT
4.0L OHV 4x4

I would just like to welcome our new member to "Serious Explorations!" Check out the Forum Faq to find out how to use the forums and try the Search function to find some great information. Once again, welcome to explorer4x4.com! Dead Link Removed
<<Cough cough>>

Stephen, what did you do? Pick on this guy in high school or something? Dead Link Removed

Hey G, very good point, I like that kind of wit, I really do. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Tim Y.
1996 Explorer XLT
4.0L OHV 4x4

[This message has been edited by NoBoundaries (edited 03-29-2000).]

Hey Mick - Lighten up! Take out all that aggression on Triple H! (Thats a wrasslin' joke folks, heh heh).

While Stephen's taste in vehicles seems to run toward the European/Foreign car style (thus the Lexus) and mine personally run more to the the tough ol' U.S. TRUCK style, he's still the kind of person I can totally respect, because you can tell he is genuinely a car(truck) nut like about all of us on this site. He's always passing on good and helpful info. He's been around the site for a good while also, so he has a good feel for how things go. As said above, this is a friendly place where we can all discuss our vehicles as a hobby and as a way to improve them or save money on repairs, etc. So welcome and come on in, just chill!

And by the way - Congrats Stephen!

------------------
92 XLT
There's a FORD in your future!

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the support. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

Can anybody show some pics of the drop top Explorer please Dead Link Removed

...so, how about them Lakers?

... relevant enough?

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD 5spd
Warrior Twist
www.explorer4x4.com/thaven_juan.jpg

HaHa...lol, That's a good one Juan.

The photo of the topless Explorer was in Automobile Magazine 4x4 Field Guide 2000. I don't have it here with me, but I can get my hands on it by next week if someone hasn't put a photo up yet. The photo shows a 1998-2000 model Sport with a removable soft top in the rear of the vehicle and what appears to be a rather large open area in the center of the roof. Hopefully I can find it, I think I have a good idea where I put it.

------------------
Tim Y.
1996 Explorer XLT
4.0L OHV 4x4

Stephen:
Why should you have all the fun by yourself. What did Mick say? Come on, come on, what did he say? Pretty please. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Peter
'99 Sport 4wd SOHC

[This message has been edited by Peter Weber (edited 03-29-2000).]

Listen to Tim, you don't wanna know. He had a smart comment for each of us in turn. It was pretty vulgar. Post a picture of the topless Explorer as soon as you can, I'd like to see it too Dead Link Removed

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stephen,
I knew you were an asset to this board, We talked about this before. Once again congratulations. your doing just fine. Dead Link Removed Now all I have to do is get you to a Explorer run Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

Back