City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
Congress Starts Firestone Probe
What Did Company Know?

By TOM SHARP
.c The Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Aug. 28) - Congressional investigators went to Bridgestone/Firestone headquarters Monday to quiz executives on their handling of safety problems with their tires.

The congressional aides are preparing for hearings in Washington next month that will examine the recall of 6.5 million Firestone ATX, ATX II and Wilderness AT tires.

The recall came after the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration began investigating reports of 62 deaths and more than 100 injuries in crashes that could be connected to the 15-inch tires.

The tires were standard equipment on Ford trucks and sport utility vehicles, especially the Explorer.

``We intend to ask Firestone the tough questions the (House) Commerce Committee and the American people are demanding the answers to,'' committee staffer Tom DiLenge said before entering Bridgestone/Firestone's headquarters Monday.

``What did Firestone know? Did Firestone act soon enough, and did Firestone's actions go far enough to ensure the safety of the American public?''

Firestone spokesman Ken Fields said the company will cooperate fully with government inspectors.

``We are prepared to answer any questions they have,'' he said.

Seven people arrived in vans at the company's suburban Nashville headquarters. DiLenge did not say how long the investigators planned to remain in Nashville.

Committee investigators visited Ford Motor Co. headquarters at Dearborn, Mich., on Friday to ask its executives similar questions.

DiLenge declined to discuss their findings at Ford, but called the company helpful.

Bridgestone/Firestone announced the recall Aug. 9 and the company says it has already replaced 1 million tires.

The company's U.S. tire plants have increased production by 7,000 tires daily to meet the replacement demand, the company said. Manufacturing plants at Japan also are air shipping thousands of replacements tires, and the company has asked for competitors' help in meeting replacement demand.

The company announced Friday it has hired a tire expert to conduct an independent analysis of the types of tires involved in the accidents.

Attorneys and consumer advocacy groups, who contend Bridgestone/Firestone knew about the tire problems years ago, are pressuring the company to broaden the recall.

According to The Wall Street Journal, Venezuelan authorities are expected to submit a report to the country's attorney general on Tuesday that could led to criminal prosecution of Ford and Firestone for accidents in that country. A hefty fine also was to be announced, the newspaper said. And USA Today reported that an expanded recall of Venezuelan tires was to be announced.

A Texas judge has ordered Bridgestone/Firestone chief executive officer Masatoshi Ono to testify Sept. 15 in the case of a couple killed in May last year when their Ford Explorer, equipped with Firestone ATX tires, overturned.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow! I can't belive my eyes. It's about time they are doing something about it. The sad thing is that how long have we all know about this?

Ive been on the board a bit now, and I can tell you that people have complained to firestone for a long time now. This is not a problem that has snuck up on them.

I just hope Ford does not take a big hit on this. Sure, their customer service is questionalbe at times, but they are ultimately not responsible for quality in the firestone plants. Sure, they could have gone elsewhere, and probably should have, but im sure they were hoping firestone would get their act together.

The only reason these were recalled is because Ford told them to. Otherwise, we would still be waiting.

Thanks

Received Refund Check From Firestone Today

Submitted my paperwork for Firestone refund 2 weeks ago under the "customer satisfaction program",(not the "recall program"), and received a check today fully reimbursing me for the out-of-pocket expense of $590 for 5 BFG AT KO tires. I had the VDHL tires on the vehicle but was approved for reimbursement prior to being aware of the Decatur production tire code. I compliment Firestone Tires for the way they handled my complaint and the safety concerns I expressed to their management personnel; they indeed provided me with COMPLETE customer satisfaction, true to their word, and this is something rarely seen today in a major corporation. I extend my gratitude and thanks to Firestone Tires and its employees who are involved in the voluntary recall for full reimbursement of every penny of my out-of-pocket expense for a competitor's tires.

Just heard that Firestone has been selling mislabelled tires in Venezuela. Something is wrong at Firestone. I'm glad I don't work there.

Back