Contemplating Upgrading to 22 Timberline | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Contemplating Upgrading to 22 Timberline

which at? and which ht? that can affect i too, the toyos i ran were more on the slightly agressive side, not too bad, but for example the bfg trail terrain you wouldnt notice much a difference its so mild imo. and which mudders?
i actually had wrangler mts on it when i got it and hated them. swapped to a ht firestone. it wasnt good enough in snow. went to general ats after that and kept them.

i dont understand how it could be that much worse over an xlt they arent that much bigger and they arent super aggressive compared to some mts ive had in the past on trucks. unless they lose alot or aerodynamics vs the xlt.
This is the reason for my initial question.

It didn't seem to me that the Timberline was changed and lifted that much or that the AT tires would make that much of a difference, but apparently it does. I think the Timberline has lower MPG ratings than the ST, (at least on the highway), which is surprising. It's a pretty big hit on the MPG apparently. At $5/gallon gas and a smallish tank, that makes a difference.

This is the reason for my initial question.

It didn't seem to me that the Timberline was changed and lifted that much or that the AT tires would make that much of a difference, but apparently it does. I think the Timberline has lower MPG ratings than the ST, (at least on the highway), which is surprising. It's a pretty big hit on the MPG apparently. At $5/gallon gas and a smallish tank, that makes a difference.
i wonder if the bumpers are less aerodynamic as well or they are using a slightly lower final drive ratio vs the xlt? if they are lower geared that will certainly make for worse gas.

ok a little digging the timberline has a 3.58 axle ratio the xlt has a 3.36. so that i would make a big difference right there

Back