Contemplating Upgrading to 22 Timberline | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Contemplating Upgrading to 22 Timberline

DelcoGary

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware County PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer XLT 4wd 2.3L
So I currently have a 16 XLT "4WD" with the 2.3L. It does what it needs to do and I've been pleased with the mileage but is a bit of a problem child with repairs, failures and a few other issues. (The latest being a finicky Nav system). I've been reading up on the 20-22s (and lurking here) and have been contemplating an upgrade.

One question that has been bugging me has been related to the MPG of the Timberline. I've seen it published as equal to the other 4-cyl versions (~ 20-27mpg) and I've also seen it published to be less than the ST/Platinum/KR ecoboost 3.0 (19-21 mpg). Can anyone share their real world experiences as to what to expect?

Coming out of a 5.4L Expedition EL to this Explorer, I've been pleased with the mileage (who wouldn't be, coming from an Expedition?) so getting something that regularly cracks 20 MPG is important with all of the driving that I do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a snip from a window sticker from one on a dealer lot.
Capture.JPG

That's kind of interesting it would be that low. Surely the Torsen wouldn't lower it that much?

Here's a snip from a window sticker from one on a dealer lot.View attachment 426315
I've seen that. This is a snip from Ford's website that shows 20-27 mpg. It's hard for me to believe that AT tires and a half inch lift would make that much of a difference so I was hoping to hear some real world experiences. I though maybe 1-2 highway MPG. That MPG on the sticker is less than the ST/Platinum is rated. I know YMMV, but it still doesn't look like it's starting from a good place for a 4 cyl.

Screenshot 2022-02-11 082140.png

I've seen that. This is a snip from Ford's website that shows 20-27 mpg. It's hard for me to believe that AT tires and a half inch lift would make that much of a difference so I was hoping to hear some real world experiences. I though maybe 1-2 highway MPG. That MPG on the sticker is less than the ST/Platinum is rated. I know YMMV, but it still doesn't look like it's starting from a good place for a 4 cyl.

View attachment 426325
I would trust the actual window sticker over the website.

Fueleconomy.gov shows similar numbers to the sticker I posted. The middle one is with the stop-start delete. I've always gotten 1-2 mpg better than the combined rating with various cars on my commuted. I trust the EPA ratings on a relative basis.

fe.JPG

Rule of thumb for me with milage. 1 these test are done on specific set standards that don't measure from person to person or real world applications. North South east west kinda thing makes a difference. Including driver A vs driver B and so on.
I consistently get 1-2 miles less then my wife.
I get about 16.5 in my king ranch if all I'm doing is taking kids to and from school.
Driving across town the instant read is showing what looks like as advertised milage.
If your currently driving a 2.3 just older model. Your milage considering the difference of body change of the year models. It should equal out to be about the same. The difference of the taller tires for highway milage could be the difference in RPM's from taller tires.

I wouldn't be shocked, my F-150 consistently achieves better MPG than our Explorer LTD. Those #'s line up.

I am getting 24mpg on my less than 2000 mile engine (‘22 timberline) on the freeway in “standard” mode, driving 70ish mph. In the city I am getting around 17mpg if doing 15 min trips…

I am getting 24mpg on my less than 2000 mile engine (‘22 timberline) on the freeway in “standard” mode, driving 70ish mph. In the city I am getting around 17mpg if doing 15 min trips…
I'll second that. We didn't intend to buy a Timberline - but they had one on the floor for sale when we went in to order an XLT - and we bought it. I can't give you exact numbers right now - it's my wife's DD so I'm not that much in tune with it yet. But I noticed in a few weeks it was showing a low number. So I did some research - which basically involved looking at stickers for vehicles on lots - and yes - the Timberline had a lower economy rating than an XLT with the same engine. As the previous poster said - 17 in the city sounds about right. I'm sure the tires have an impact as they aren't really meant for road use primarily - and maybe the rear diff has an affect - lots of little things add up. I'll add a more road friendly tire when these wear and that should help.
Having said that - it's a good looking vehicle. And I prefer 18s with some good sidewall over the 20s, 21s, and even 22s they are putting on the Explorers. No other model fills out the wheel wells quite like the Timberline and I'll give up a 1 or 2 MPG difference for that.

with my xlt my avg is 17.5 mpg only 1k miles on it.

View attachment 426325
My 22 Timberline has really bad MPGs. On the hwy am lucky if I avg 20 mpg. On the city is between 15-16 mpg. It sucks. That is my only complaint about this vehicle, otherwise it is awesome.

My 22 Timberline has really bad MPGs. On the hwy am lucky if I avg 20 mpg. On the city is between 15-16 mpg. It sucks. That is my only complaint about this vehicle, otherwise it is awesome.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
How many miles do you have on it? I wonder if those 18" off-road tires affect the MPG?

Peter

How many miles do you have on it? I wonder if those 18" off-road tires affect the MPG?

Peter
i dont understand how it could be that much worse over an xlt they arent that much bigger and they arent super aggressive compared to some mts ive had in the past on trucks. unless they lose alot or aerodynamics vs the xlt.

Peter
4700 with an overall average of 16.5 mpg. I think the tires do make a big difference.

i dont understand how it could be that much worse over an xlt they arent that much bigger and they arent super aggressive compared to some mts ive had in the past on trucks. unless they lose alot or aerodynamics vs the xlt.
assumiing same size ATs will decrease mpg not like them mts, but going from a toyo extensa to a open country at2 same size (now ive got 31s but when both were 235/75/15) i think i saw maybe a 1-2 mpg decrease, but i dont quite remember its been a while. i have a 2nd gen though, so gas mileage was never stellar anyways. what sets them apart is rolling resistance and weight, usually ats will weigh mroe than the as counterparts. are they a different size too? that could affect it even more, especially in the city, on the highway maybe slightly better cause the total final ratio is lower (within reason(obviously dont run 37s on stock gearing for mpg)) but it takes more to get off the line

assumiing same size ATs will decrease mpg not like them mts, but going from a toyo extensa to a open country at2 same size (now ive got 31s but when both were 235/75/15) i think i saw maybe a 1-2 mpg decrease, but i dont quite remember its been a while. i have a 2nd gen though, so gas mileage was never stellar anyways. what sets them apart is rolling resistance and weight, usually ats will weigh mroe than the as counterparts. are they a different size too? that could affect it even more, especially in the city, on the highway maybe slightly better cause the total final ratio is lower (within reason(obviously dont run 37s on stock gearing for mpg)) but it takes more to get off the line
i went from ht to ats on a chevy truck and really saw no change maybe .5 mpg. now mts i did lost 2 mpg. they are less than a inch bigger. shocking to say the least.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i went from ht to ats on a chevy truck and really saw no change maybe .5 mpg. now mts i did lost 2 mpg. they are less than a inch bigger. shocking to say the least.
which at? and which ht? that can affect i too, the toyos i ran were more on the slightly agressive side, not too bad, but for example the bfg trail terrain you wouldnt notice much a difference its so mild imo. and which mudders?

Back