• Register Today It's free!

Continuing seat problem

chrystal

Reaction score
City, State
essex uk
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 North Face
Drivers seat is stuck in position with the switch dead. It is in a position so that I cant access the rear bolts. There is power from the battery to the connector under the seat, but , doesn't appear to be any power at the switch or to the memory switch on the door. I have checked the fuses and passenger seat works fine. I have thought about supplying power direct to the switch but cant find a wiring diagram for the seat switch for live and earth. Anyone else had this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 97 has done this a couple of times and it was just a dirty switch. On mine, I managed to take the plastic shroud that holds the switches off and then removed the switch.
Its possible to disassemble the switch using tooth picks on the tabs. Clean the terminals with fine abrasive paper and apply switch grease.
I also did this to my sun roof switch.
Good luck Kev.

Well decided that as I have had problems in the past, I should try a new seat base. Obviously this didn't work either! Then thought it might be the switch, because I know the seat is receiving power, its just not making the seat work. Then thought that if this doesn't work either, there must be a problem with the seat loom, so check this first, I saw that a green wire from the main seat connector (that connects to the connector from the floor) had a small bit or copper showing. so I stripped it all back and found what must be a previous bodge as I cant believe Ford would accept this. I have had the car from 3 years old and have not worked on the seat before.

Basically, there is a green wire that comes from the black main seat connector that then goes to the connector for the seat motors. Spliced into this is another green wire that goes to the switch on the side of the seat. From the point of the splice , both wires are burnt out. Pictures below:

20160223_173031.jpg

20160223_172303.jpg

20160223_172217.jpg

20160223_172203.jpg

The green connector goes to the switch on the side of the seat.

I have managed to get the pins out of the connectors. Where can I buy the pins? I might just replace both green wires as the seat was working fine till recently. Still cant believe this was 'Factory'. Also I cant find a wiring diagram for the drivers seat

Just take the corresponding wires out the other half of the connector and solder them together, or put some butt connectors on.

Today I Found the following: The Drivers seat base and multi position switch work. I tested by putting them both on the passengers seat. Couldn't try the passenger seat in the drivers side as the main connector from the floor is different!

I found a couple of wires on the drivers multi position switch had obviously had a problem as there are signs that the plastic covering the wires had slightly melted. These were the front tilt (red/blue) and the main power wire (Black/white). Also the terminal for main power on the switch itself was discoloured and the plastic around the wire connector looked like it had got hot. Despite all this the switch worked fine on the passenger side.

http://justinparrtech.com/JustinParr-Tech/wp-content/uploads/Color-Chart-1024x768.jpg

The green wire that had melted above has been replaced. I checked the resistance for the wire and was .6. The same as a new piece of wire that I tested as well. The green wire goes to the larger of the electronic boxes at the front of the seat

20160226_164042.jpg

The passenger seat only has the smaller box, swapped with the drivers seat small box, appears both work. What are these boxes for? Could the larger box have been fried when the wire shorted? I really cant see what else is wrong.

I have tested the seat both with and without the memory connector connected - no difference

Still not working. I have tried a replacement seat that I know and have seen working. This doesn't work when plugged into mine. I know there is power to the connector from the floor. I also know there is power to the switch that controls the memory function on the door, however the green diode is not lighting. If this switch is faulty would it stop the seat from working?

Back