Conventional oil | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Conventional oil

Rotella is solid. It’s all I run in my bikes transmissions. 15w is fine as long as your climate is warm.
Are you at all familiar with just exactly what makes "diesel" rating qualify? I've heard additives not used in common motor oils. Then there's the rating "system", which once was straightforward and made sense, now consists of gibberish of letters and numbers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you at all familiar with just exactly what makes "diesel" rating qualify? I've heard additives not used in common motor oils. Then there's the rating "system", which once was straightforward and made sense, now consists of gibberish of letters and numbers.
I’m assuming it’s more resistant to sheer under heavy load, but I’m not really sure. I always had great clutch life using Rotella.

I’ve gone over 20k on synthetic. I’m certain it would have tested better than a conventional in the same conditions.
synthetic won't break down at 20k but you've just driven around sloshing 20k miles of soot in your crankcase. Yeah i know modern engines are cleaner, bla bla. Theoretical is good on paper but common sense is better for my cars. Better to change any oil before it breaks down (takes a long time even with conventional) AND before it becomes dirty. I'd take conventional oil changes at 5k any day vs a synthetic change at 10k+. I do synthetic at 5 to 7k depending on the vehicle use conditions. you do you.

If you really want to take advantage of synthetic oil and extended oil changes you really need to watch the filter or do a dual filter set up and change the filters at the recommended oil change time and then top off the oil with some new clean oil.

synthetic won't break down at 20k but you've just driven around sloshing 20k miles of soot in your crankcase. Yeah i know modern engines are cleaner, bla bla. Theoretical is good on paper but common sense is better for my cars. Better to change any oil before it breaks down (takes a long time even with conventional) AND before it becomes dirty. I'd take conventional oil changes at 5k any day vs a synthetic change at 10k+. I do synthetic at 5 to 7k depending on the vehicle use conditions. you do you.
Thanks brah, but I don’t need your, or anyone’s permission to “do me”. The “soot sloshing around in there” was entirely irrelevant. The motor ran great, and used virtually zero oil until long after the trucks useful life span.

Thanks brah, but I don’t need your, or anyone’s permission to “do me”. The “soot sloshing around in there” was entirely irrelevant. The motor ran great, and used virtually zero oil until long after the trucks useful life span.
Brah? I'll promise to use synthetic from now on for 20k miles ruining my engines and not force you to, do you, if you'll promise not to use 'brah'...

Brah? I'll promise to use synthetic from now on for 20k miles ruining my engines and not force you to, do you, if you'll promise not to use 'brah'...
At one time, I loved pissing matches. Now in my old age, I see the waste of time......and let the miscreants go on raving amongst themselves.

Equally lame is “you do you” which is what i was making fun of using to term “brah”. Sorry the joke didn’t land. Pour sand and coconut oil in your crank if you want.

I agree with you 100%. There are acids and other contaminants that build up in oil as a result of the combustion process that are not good for load bearing surfaces. These contaminants aren't removed by conventional oil filters. The only way to remove them is by changing the oil that carries them. I too would rather do 5k conventional oil changes than 10k-20k changes with synthetic oil when using regular oil filters. Personally, I don't see where synthetic oil offers much more of a benefit over conventional oil when changes are done at 5k intervals, or less. I run synthetics in my Mustangs because I drive them like I stole them. I don't in my 2010 Mountaineer since I change oil in all the vehicles at 5k miles. I also will run Seafoam in the oil for about 200 miles before every third oil change on average. I have never had an oil related engine failure of any type for as far back as I can remember. Or experienced excessive oil use in an engine that got worse over time. I am not saying synthetics aren't better than conventional oils but I am not sold that any differences between them makes much of a difference, if any, in real world use for most people with the exception of those living in very cold climates.

If you really want to take advantage of synthetic oil and extended oil changes you really need to watch the filter or do a dual filter set up and change the filters at the recommended oil change time and then top off the oil with some new clean oil.
Even then there will be some contaminants that even a new filter will not remove. There are probably more benefits gained from replacing a quart of dirty oil with a clean, fresh one.

No doubt, the correct oil recommended for your engine is the way to go, but frequent changes are the key. I have a Gen 2 and Gen 4 Explorer and change the oil on each every 3K miles. They both have well over 200K miles and still run great. I know with some of the newer motors, synthetic at 5K-10K oil change intervals are recommended, but I do those at 3K as well. I shop the sales and do all the changes (6 cars) myself. Oddly enough, I was able to pick up full synthetic 5qts and a filter for $33.98. Depending on inventory, sales on synthetic makes it cheaper than conventional. I am adding a $15 rebate and a $10 loyalty discount which makes this a very inexpensive practice and worth doing every 3K.

Run it for 3K and then change.

As one can see, a thread like this always gets various opinions and recommendations on when to change the oil and what type to use. It basically just exists to act as a sounding board for all to offer their own opinions on the topic. In the end, it is up to the owner to decide whether to follow the manufacturer's recommended oil and change intervals or to follow/establish their own.

Peter

Back