Converting 2wd to 4wd on 1st gen ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Converting 2wd to 4wd on 1st gen ranger

nova801428

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 Ford Ranger
Does anybody have any suggestions? I have a long bed and I really love my truck the way it is, there is no way in hell I am going to buy a new one. Any sites? What all would I need? Would a stock x-case mount to my stock 5spd tranny? I have an 86 Ranger, reg cab, long bed, 2.9l v6, 2wd, and 5spd. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would be a lot easyer and to buy one already 4x4. You would need a doner 4x4 truck. You will need to swap everything behind the motor.

Try therangerstation.com

+1 try selling your truck then looking for a 4x4 one. you would need to pretty much buy a second truck thats 4x4 anyways to do the swap

i think you need a new output shaft and tail housing, 4x4 engine cross member, and the ttb. it would prob be cheaper to do an sas.

I would be a lot easyer and to buy one already 4x4. You would need a doner 4x4 truck. You will need to swap everything behind the motor.

Try therangerstation.com

Yes, but I don't want to buy another one. I put way too much money into mine to keep it running...i.e. buy every electronic part possible for it. Yes, and maybe. Maybe, I could switch out the tail housing. I am at therangerstation.com too asking.

Try this:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=145059

If you have any questions just ask me.

Thanks. I do have a couple of questions though. First, was it worth it? Would it be easier and cheaper to do an sas?

+1 try selling your truck then looking for a 4x4 one. you would need to pretty much buy a second truck thats 4x4 anyways to do the swap

No, I don't want too. Not really, I could get away with going to the junkyard.

i think you need a new output shaft and tail housing, 4x4 engine cross member, and the ttb. it would prob be cheaper to do an sas.

Yes, I would, yes, and yes. I would think so, and I might just go that route.

Anyway. This is not going to be extremely wheeled. I might do some though. How would a 2wd truck do? I thought about lifting mine (seems cheaper to do a damn sas then to buy a quality lift w/o blocks) but it seems too spendy. Here is what I am thinkin. Get a 6" or 5.5", maybe a 1" BL, then get an 8.8, and get a locker for that, then do a spring over conversion, and get some leafs for that somewhere. Top that off with some tires and wheels and I will be set. What do you think?

Thanks. I do have a couple of questions though. First, was it worth it? Would it be easier and cheaper to do an sas?

Worth it? I think so, I beat the piss out of it and it keeps going. But in hindsight it would have been easier to do a SAS. Sending wise it would have been about the same cost.

Say I get this lift for the front....http://autofab.com/econo2wd.htm
Could I get an 8.8 w/a locker in the rear, and do a spring over axle conversion and be about the same height front and rear? If it is a couple inches higher in the rear that is fine with me, I prefer some rake. Thanks

I thought explorers weren't though?

Explorers aren't, rangers are. So if you were thinking of getting an 8.8 from an explorer you'd have to do an soa.

and I would have to grab the leaf, therefore creating more lift over the sua as the ranger....right? - this is what I thought about doing

Right.

Try therangerstation.com

Yep, finishing mine now...waht a pita....dual tanks, a4ld to m5r1 tranny, re-gearing to 4.11 to match my already built 2wd rear axle, etc. Can be done but alot of work.

i think you need a new output shaft and tail housing, 4x4 engine cross member, and the ttb.

Correct. A parts truck is your best route or a good runner 4x4 and swap your body...Supercabs are HEAVY. Used a large manual hoist, strap etc. to lift mine. Wouldn't do it again. But well worth it.

Back