converting a4ld from 2wd to 4wd

Xeek

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 xlt
Im having not much.luck sourcing an a4ld around here. First gens and older 4.0 rangers are hard to come by.
Was wondering what exactly was needed to swap, yes i know it requires pulling completely apart. But mine needs to be rebuilt.

Im guessing: 4x4 output shaft, tail housing, all gaskets related to tail housing, 4x4 filter and pan(or might leave 2wd and add aux cooler)

Anything im missing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're interested I have a complete a4ld for sale :D. I thought the torque converter was bad. It was stalling out every time I came to a stop while in drive (throwing it neutral kept it from stalling). While I was pulling it I found that the vacuum modulator line had been disconnected. An easy fix but since I already have a 5 speed the auto won't be going back in. It's actually in good shape and never gave me any problems other than that.

Buy his transmission ^
Or replace output shaft with 4x4 shaft. Tail housing is replaced by the transfer case.
Idk about the Al4d but the 5r55e uses a pan with a sump for the 4x4. Its better... but an aftermarket deep pan is even better.
An aux cooler isn't the same as the sump.

I have 2 4x4 output shafts, tail housings, factory coolers, and 1 4x4 pan if you want to rebuild yours. They are just collecting dust in my garage now that I have joined the 5 speed club :D :burnout:

I have 2 4x4 output shafts, tail housings, factory coolers, and 1 4x4 pan if you want to rebuild yours. They are just collecting dust in my garage now that I have joined the 5 speed club :D :burnout:

What's your going rate for one of them output shafts?

What's your going rate for one of them output shafts?
$15 + shipping sounds reasonable to me for just the output shaft

ive got an electric t case in good shape. no shift motor tho... 40 bucks and you pay shipping and its yours

If you need it right away you can come scoop it up from me, or I can bring it to you if you can wait a few days. Your rig sounds pretty mean! I can do the junkyard price for it or a reasonable offer. That's not including the transfer case.

Back