Converting to Manual Hubs, what am I doing wrong? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Converting to Manual Hubs, what am I doing wrong?

Malchi

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 X 4x4
Ok, after some looking around and consulting here on the forum, I decided to buy a set of Mile Marker 428 hubs. Reason being is that I don't do any hard core off roading, just mainly snow in the mountains and occasioanal sand at the ocean.

Anyways, I also purchased the Mile Marker conversion kit. So, today I went to do the conversion and everything seems just fine. Except one problem. When I go to torque the outer nut to 150 ft lbs, at about 100 or so (just estimating, of course) the inner nut starts to turn as well. For some reason the little lock washer nub that goes into the groove on the spindle is not stopping the inner nut from turning, but rather the lock washer is turning as well.

The first one I didn't think much of it till I got the outer nut torqued and then noticed I could barely get the rotor to turn. So, I removed the outer nut and tried to remove the lock washer, but it had turned so much that the nub was locked up in the threads and I had to pry it off with a pry bar and a screwdriver, warping the washer in the process. so, I tried the other washer, but this time when the inner nut started turning I stopped and, sure enough, the lock washer was starting to turn again.

What am I doing wrong? Is it just cheap kit or am I a doofus? Looking online at the images of the Spicer kit it looks like the little nub is the same size. But, I inspected the groove in my spindle and I don't see any problems there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sounds to me like the lock washer is not fitting just right into the groove in the spindle. Either the "nub" on the washer is too small, or the groove in the spindle has been damaged (or some combination) that is allowing that washer to turn.

Can you post a few pictures of what is going on? It might help.

Thanks for the response, MrShorty.

I just got back from a place local here called 4West with a couple sets of Spicer 28068X kits. I am going to try those.

But, the fellow behind the counter told me that he didn't think I needed to torque the outer nut to 150 ft lbs. He thought that was just for big 1 tons. He suggested more like 50 ft lbs. What is your take on that? Is 150 ft lbs right?

I will be looking for your answer. Maybe see if I can get some picts while I am waiting.

The guy behind the counter is smoking crack. Our lug nuts are torqued to 100ft lbs.

Well....maybe so.....just thoght I'd make sure....

While reading thru some threads here I caught wind of others having this problem and having to modify the "nub" via welding. But, search as I may, I can't find any solid info on this.

Mine were bad about doing that also. I always just had a helper hold pressure the opposite way a screwdriver on the inner nut while I tightened down the outer nut. Worked for me. Also 50 lbs is a joke. Make sure you get them tight and I mean real tight. Also keep a check on them every once in a while cause the will come loose.

Ok, thanks to everyone.

Apparently I just had a defective lock washer. I went and bought the Spicer 28068X ones today and using them everything worked real well. I had no more trouble.

So, finally got my manual hubs and I feel like I have a real 4x4 again.

Mine were bad about doing that also. I always just had a helper hold pressure the opposite way a screwdriver on the inner nut while I tightened down the outer nut. Worked for me. Also 50 lbs is a joke. Make sure you get them tight and I mean real tight. Also keep a check on them every once in a while cause the will come loose.

Thanks for the advice. I torqued them to 150ft lbs per manufacturer specs. I have heard some go more like 180 ft lbs. I will make sure to check them after a few months and if they are backing out I will go a bit tighter.

...Generally, these loosening up are not a problem unless you are running 35" or larger tires, have bad bearings or bad rotors...

...Generally, these loosening up are not a problem unless you are running 35" or larger tires, have bad bearings or bad rotors...

Thanks for the input Tbars. I was hoping you would chime in.

I checked my bearings, they were fine, so I repacked them and put them back in. My rotors seem fine, no warpage noticed when braking. And I am using stock tires. So, I should be ok....

..How much did you pay for the Spicer kit?

...Sounds like you are good to go as long as your rotor still spins freely, otherwise the bearings will heat up..:(

After tax it was $24 and some change for both of them. I paid $40 for the Mile Marker Kit on Ebay. But, the seller has already agreed to refund if I return them. I will have to pay return shipping, but at least I get Spicers for less than the Mile Markers.

Rotor spins just fine. Let me ask you though. For the inner nut, I torqued them to 35 ft lbs, then backed off 1/4 turn, then just put the socket on them and turned it by hand just a bit, that's it. Should that be good enough? I've read so many different opinions.....

...The Mile Markers are a weaker hub then the Warn or stock warn manual hubs..They should be fine for daily driver status though..;)

..as for tightening, here are a couple threads to read thru...

wheel bearing issues..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199915&highlight=project

..and for anybody learning to work on the front end of a first gen, this has lots of info although it has auto hubs instead of manuals...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122696

...I hope this helps..

Back