• Register Today It's free!

Coolant Leak -- Intake Manifold?

bearskin3316

Reaction score
City, State
Cary,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
I recently had the intake manifold gaskets replaced by the Ford dealership to correct a rough start condition in cold weather. The next week I started leaking coolant. The Ford dealership says the problem is the thermostat housing and has nothing to do with the work they did on the intake manifold gaskets. They further explained no coolant goes through intake manifolds so this is not the problem. They also said they do not touch the thermostat housing when replacing the manifold gaskets.

Need help!

Is Ford at fault? Also can someone explain why my problem is occuring and if coolant goes through the manifold gaskets. :roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bearskin3316 said:
I recently had the intake manifold gaskets replaced by the Ford dealership to correct a rough start condition in cold weather. The next week I started leaking coolant. The Ford dealership says the problem is the thermostat housing and has nothing to do with the work they did on the intake manifold gaskets. They further explained no coolant goes through intake manifolds so this is not the problem. They also said they do not touch the thermostat housing when replacing the manifold gaskets.

Need help!

Is Ford at fault? Also can someone explain why my problem is occuring and if coolant goes through the manifold gaskets. :roll:

mine was leaking like crazy for a while and it turned out to be the lower intake manifold gasket

not 100% sure on how the explorer is, but the water neck for my thermostat on my toyota is on my intake manifold and there is definately coolant that runs through it, trust me, i just replaced the head, i know....

On the 4L OHV engines (91-96?), the lower intake gasket does have coolant passages as well as the thermostat housing. I'm not sure about the later models, but the lower manifold gasket does have coolant seals, but no coolant passes through them.

Here are some images (in particular, check out Figure 1 and Figure 2 - which are the first and sixth images):
http://www.alldatadiy.com/alldata/A...100411974/34856156/34856653/42063475/42527966

Which intake gasket did they replace - upper or lower?

If they only replaced the upper then I believe they would not have had to remove the tstat nor is there any coolant running through the upper. If they replaced the lower then there is coolant running through it but i'm not sure on the tstat location?

They replaced both the upper and lower intake gaskets.

can you see the leak? (puddles?)
Or is there excessive condensation in the ecxhaust?
Hard starting issue fixed?
water in oil?

The thermostat housing is connected to the lower intake, they moved the lower intake, they moved the thermostat hose and disrupted the housing.
If it was not leaking prior to their fix and is leaking now, raise hell.

They want you to go away, this is how they make $$$.
Do not go away, this is a cheap and easy fix for them, if it is indeed what they claim....

A lot of mention of the OHV, but did you mention which engine it was? Thinking back to when I changed my gaskets, the coolant system was completely separate. If they say you housing is leaking, have you checked it out?

Back