Coolant Leak | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant Leak

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pressurize the radiator and start looking.

water pump or t-stat housing is my guess.

I have had a 1991 arostar and explorer with the 4.0 liter v-6 in them, i had to replace the intake manifold gasket on both due to coolant leaking from the passenger side front, hope this helps, it is only a couple hour job to do.

I have had a 1991 arostar and explorer with the 4.0 liter v-6 in them, i had to replace the intake manifold gasket on both due to coolant leaking from the passenger side front, hope this helps, it is only a couple hour job to do.
how long does it take do you have any pictures when you did this job Doh! damn it

On a nice warm day it took me aprox 3 hours start to finish and no I did not take any pics of the process, if you have a manual for your year and make it will give you direction on how to do this.

ok i bought a 1997 ford explorer diy book for autozone wow it look like a fun job for me i guess i have to wait into the weather get better for now i wait into spring time or summer to do this job thank god i got the 4.0ohv v-6

I hear theres a freeze plug by the water pump under the bracket for the A/C. It can look like the water pump is leaking but its actually a freeze plug. Another guy had a thread some where for replacing it. Just search for freeze plug or the like.

You could also slap a new gasket on your thermostat or a new thermostat while your at it since its only 7 dollars for both. Theres a how to thread with a video for that.
Id say most likely its a freeze plug though.

I hear theres a freeze plug by the water pump under the bracket for the A/C. It can look like the water pump is leaking but its actually a freeze plug. Another guy had a thread some where for replacing it. Just search for freeze plug or the like.

You could also slap a new gasket on your thermostat or a new thermostat while your at it since its only 7 dollars for both. Theres a how to thread with a video for that.
Id say most likely its a freeze plug though.
my water leak is coming from the front of the motor back part of the water pump it leaks down on top of the front sway bar link onll leaks when i fill up the coolant bottom all the way to the top of coolant bottom after month later
coolant bottom all most empty it stop leaking at fill mark

Yeah... me too...... replaced the pump. But it doesnt appear to be coming from there. it looks to be around on the drivers side of the block/heads from where the pump is.. i cant figure it out. i have never heard of a blown head gasket leaking to the outside but i guess anything is possible. I think i might try some of that liquid head gasket repair stuff like Blue Devil. Its worth a shot i guess..........

Unfortunately I was told it might be my intake gaskets. I take the radiator cap off and it leaks sitting still. I drive it and I slowly lose water. I cant afford to fix "might be" I have to know whats wrong but labor at the shops is ridiculous..

Back