• Register Today It's free!

Coolant leak

Stephen25

Reaction score
City, State
Chelmsford Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mountaineer
I have a 99 mountaineer it was leaking coolant off and on during the winter and i put stop leak in it ive been meaning to do a flush to clean it out and today when i got home it was leaking again but from like the middle of the motor maybe where the exhaust is or right above it, right above where the motor sits on the big cross bar of the frame, im new at this stuff do what i can to fix what i can what could it be and what would it cost to fix,

when i take cap of radiator it stops leaking (while its running)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Step 1 is to figure out where it is leaking from. After that, we can better tell you how serious of a repair it is. When the vehicle is hot and the cap is installed, the system is pressurized so you will have the most leakage at that time. A pressure tester is ideal since you can pressurize the system when cold. You can then inspect the engine without worry of moving parts or getting burned.

Coolant leaks can be tricky. I had slow a leak coming from the timing cover at the front of the engine, but it was dripping off onto the floor from the rear of the engine if you can believe it. It took me a while to find it. The engine fan blowing air and the hot exhaust pipes can add complication as well.

X2 on coolant dripping from the rear, with the source being the timing cover seal. In my case, it ran along the pan lip.
To the OP: it helps to identify your engine when posting a question here.

Step 1 is to figure out where it is leaking from. After that, we can better tell you how serious of a repair it is. When the vehicle is hot and the cap is installed, the system is pressurized so you will have the most leakage at that time. A pressure tester is ideal since you can pressurize the system when cold. You can then inspect the engine without worry of moving parts or getting burned.

Coolant leaks can be tricky. I had slow a leak coming from the timing cover at the front of the engine, but it was dripping off onto the floor from the rear of the engine if you can believe it. It took me a while to find it. The engine fan blowing air and the hot exhaust pipes can add complication as well.

we need to also know what motor is in that thing, and a better idea of exactly where it leaks,

yeah sorry about that lol its the 5.0 liter 302 awd where can u get a pressurized tester?

Many chain auto parts stores rent those. Make sure it has an adapter that fits your radiator neck properly (it has to seal below the overflow tube, so the pressure won't escape). If you want to buy one, Harbor Freight sells a reasonably inexpensive one (about $100), with adapters for about any vehicle on the planet.

... where can u get a pressurized tester?

and today its not leaking. is it common to leak from timing cover? cause it is off and on. it has been more off then on though lately

When mine was leaking from the timing cover, it would come down the side of the timing cover, go along the lip of the oil pan, then run down the block plate between the engine and trans......then drip onto the catalytic converter just below and burn off. I would never get a puddle under the vehicle when running. Once the leak got bad enough, I would notice a small puddle on the garage floor under the cat after the truck cooled down. The cat cooled down and the cooling system was still warm and pressurized, leaking out slowly until the pressure was all released.

I am talking about the experience with my V8 explorer.

that's where it drips down on mine to right were the catalytic converter is so that's gotta be it. what would that cost to repair? anyone have an idea?

thanks

I would not jump into conclusions before you diagnosed the source of the leak with a pressure tester.
Timing cover reseal is a pretty nasty job. Bolts are often rusted and shear off, complicating the story. A shop may want to remove the radiator, just in order to get clearance for their impact wrench. Once the cover is off, it makes sense to replace the timing chain and gears on a vehicle of this age. It's also the right opportunity to replace the water pump. The oil sealing surface in the balancer is probably going to be grooved, so they may recommend replacing it too. You will need an oil and coolant change as well. All included, at a shop you are easily looking at $500+ (++??).

that's where it drips down on mine to right were the catalytic converter is so that's gotta be it. what would that cost to repair? anyone have an idea?

thanks

Yes, if you are doing it yourself and your time isn't worth much, go ahead and start tearing it apart. I would strongly suggest pinpointing the leak though as it will more than likely save you time in the end.

If you are creative, you could plumb in a pipe tee where the heater control valve is on the heater hose. On the tee you could have a schrader valve (tire valve) where you could use a bike pump to pressurize the system. It would give you more control over an air compressor because the pressure will jump up quick and you don't want to exceed system pressure of 15-16psi or you may end up with more leaks. lol Just something to think about.

Back