Coolant leaking from I don't know where! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant leaking from I don't know where!

Reaction score
City, State
cols, oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
I have replaced the water pump and the gasket for the timing chain cover and coolant is still spraying from on top of and behind the timing chain cover. Not from the cover itself but from somewhere behind it. Can anyone tell my what would be leaking from this area? I would very much appreciate the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 1st guesses would be the heater hose connection at the intake manifold, the upper intake manifold itself and the thermostat housing/house connection.

Worst case, get some dye and the uv light/glasses (its a kit), clean off the motor.. then start it and watch where its coming from.

~Mark

Worst case, get some dye and the uv light/glasses (its a kit), clean off the motor.. then start it and watch where its coming from.
Or borrow the cooling system pressure tester from Autozone or similar, hook it up, and pinpoint where it's leaking from.

The color of the engine can make it hard to see the leaking coolant.. I like using the dye because you can follow the stream of color to where its coming from.

~Mark

I found out that it is coming from up underneath the thermostat housing. Is this a part that comes off? Is there a gasket there or a freeze plug? I am at a loss as to why it would leak from this area.

I don't understand where you say it is leaking from. On the ohv motor the thermostat housing is on the front of the lower intake manifold and is held on by 3 bolts...

This pic shows the front and back of the lower intake.. Do you see where it is leaking from in this pic? (lower intake is back left and another is the 2nd from right in the back row).

2726261751_c899b6ca22_b.jpg

~Mark

edit: if it is coming from under the lower intake you need to replace the lower intake gasket.

Back