Coolant spewing out of rubber "plug" on top of engine. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant spewing out of rubber "plug" on top of engine.

Just to further beat this dead horse:

I received a reply from Dorman concerning this issue.

They're going to send me a "block off plug to be inserted into the heater hose feed". This part is said to come with the hardware package, and may be the very part lincolnshibuya mentioned in his post above.

I did download the PDF version of the instructions for the 615-175 intake manifold, but those instructions do not show or mention this block off plug. Further, photos (and the drawing in the instructions) of the manifold show the same rubber boot as mine came with from my mechanic already installed over what Dorman calls the "heater hose feed".

It's likely that Dorman assumes the plug they're sending me will be installed into that "heater hose feed" if that port is not used. However, the fact that the instructions don't mention this at all likely results in many of these intakes being installed without it, especially if they come with that boot already covering that port. It would be reasonable that many users will assume that the boot is there to make the seal, and no further action is necessary.

In fact, it may well be that the boot is only there to keep crud from falling into that port during installation of the manifold, and the mechanic is supposed to pull that off and install this plug for installations where that port will not be used.

The instructions do refer the installer to the appropriate shop manual for the vehicle "to obtain specific service procedures for this part". But I wonder if such shop manuals include instructions for the installation of this block off plug.

As of now, I've got the heater-hose/bolt/worm-gear-hose-clamp installed, and everything seems to be fine. :thumbsup:

Well my rubber cap finally day rotted and blew today on my way to work. Glad I bought a pack of caps. Was able to replace it in the parking lot and get going. this weekend will get some heater hose plugged with a copper pipe and cover the nipple as the rubber cap doesn't hold up to the hot coolant. Again, this is if you have the plastic Dorman replacement intake manifold and have the plug in rear passenget side

2002 V8 (5 liter) Explorer.

I've got a serious coolant leak/dump onto the top of the engine of this 2002 explorer.

The coolant is coming from some sort of opening on the top of the engine, back near the firewall. This seems to be an unused hose connection or some sort of freeze plug, or whatever.

I do not know what the factory "plug" is supposed to be for this opening, but at the moment, it has a rubber boot of some sort over it, held in place with a hose clamp. The boot has failed, and has large cracks in it, so that's where the leak is.

This boot was installed by someone else, so I don't know if it's the correct part for the job or not.

It seems like the hose clamp that holds it in place may be part of the problem, having squeezed the rubber boot down and virtually cut it, or at least weakened it so that it failed.

I'd like to know if there is a proper replacement boot made for this, and if so, what is it called, so I can ask for it at the parts store.

I could probably make something out of a piece of correctly-sized hose with a plug at one end, and the other end clamped over this fitting. But I can't help thinking that there's a good, cheap replacement part made just for this.

If anyone knows what the part might be called, that'd be a good help.

I have a photo of this thing while it was spewing out the water I'd just poured into the overflow tank. But you can't see it well because it's hidden behind an injector rail or something.

p1120461305.jpg

p1120461303.jpg

If this was a leaking water tank, I'd just whittle a hardwood stick down to a proper-sized tapered plug and pound it in with a hammer. But something makes me think there's a part someone would like to sell me that will work better.

If anyone has any ideas about what this part is, or what it's called, I'd love to get one.

Thanks, everyone.
Can I just connect it to the front one with a three way splice

Back