coolant temp sensor leaking. can i replace the 0-ring? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

coolant temp sensor leaking. can i replace the 0-ring?

Put that oring in boiling hot water for a minute. I would leave it on the sensor and just hold the connector out of the water. The heat will make it squeeze in better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I said eff it and bought the whole new $20 unit, comes with the o-ring on it. It's an almost press fit but went right in, took 30 seconds, close the hood and forget about it. The difference between what I was trying to use (obviously wrong) and the correct one is notably different. I just got unlucky. No matter, all done. Next time, Teflon tape it is.

Fordbluefamily, that doesn't make any sense to me. Freeze yes, boiling water why?

Rubber gets soft with temperature. If it were metal I would freeze it.

Got my new sensor today and measured the o-ring:

Outer diameter: 13.5 mm
Inner diameter: 8.5 mm
Thickness: 2.5 mm

Fits perfect into the new thermostat housing.

So I think that the o-rings from home depot which were suggested by mdisalvo will also fit, because in the result they have nearly the same size (as described on the package):

Outer diameter 9/16" (14.29 mm)
Inner diameter: 3/8" (9.53 mm)
Thickness: 3/32" (2.39 mm)

24869662gy.jpg

24869663xu.jpg

24869667wp.jpg

Just replaced my housing also, and the o-ring on the old sensor was totally flat, but it still fit the old housing ok. The new housing o-ring hole must be a slightly different size (larger,) because I dropped in the old sensor and it was really loose at the top and bottom of the sensor hole. So I put a new o-ring on the old sensor, and it fit's the bottom kinda snug, but is still a little wiggly at the top. Doesn't leak as far as I can tell so far. I also had purchased a new sensor, but it was too tight to push in and get the clip on, so I reverted to the old sensor with the new o-ring. Still a work in progress, checking for leaks. I might use a little tape at the top and bottom of the sensor to get it to fit better.

2 years later and it's leaking again. I posted here just over 2 years ago I replaced the whole sensor because every o- ring I tried was too big in diameter to fit back in the housing. So, after just replacing the radiator cause it started leaking and the thermostat gasket, I discovered that the sensor was leaking AGAIN. My wife is off to the auto parts store for a whole new sensor. Not messing with o-rings again.

New sensor with o-ring complete. Not messing around with o-rings that don't work any more.

Back