Coolant upper air manifold bypass? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant upper air manifold bypass?

Impact9

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT AWD
I removed my upper air intake on my 5.0 to get to my valve covers to repair a leaky gasket. I noticed that coolant circulates through the aluminum upper air manifold and was wondering if this was for the same reason as my eclipse spyder, to warm up the car faster. Many suggest removing those coolant lines and doing a bypass because the colder the air the better. With this obviously being a much larger engine, are these coolant lines keeping the intake cool or making it warm?

Many times warm coolant is circulated through things that have air rushing through them to prevent frost/ice from forming (my job 2 4.0L SOHC even has coolant circulated around the PCV valve in the back of the driver's side valve cover). I assume coolant is circulated through the throttle body/intake manifold for the same reason. I don't think bypassing this would be a good idea.

Depends where you live Koda. I'm freezing my a** off. It's 63* here and very "cold". ;)

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/pcv-valve.435785/#post-3474534

Poor baby! 63 must be tough. It's been in the teens here at night since last Friday (single digits with the wind chill). 70's predicted by this coming Fri/Sat though. :)

You'd be surprised. Even during the summer months air rushing through something will cause frost/ice to form. If you don't believe me, on a 95 degree day, take a C02 cartridge, punch a hole in the cap and watch the ice form on the metal case as the air rushes out. Back in the 70's I had an old Volkswagen Beetle whose carburetor would freeze up because there was nothing to warm it. I suppose the humidity had something to do with it too.

Back