Cooling replacment items | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cooling replacment items

aldive said:
Oh, does that same logic apply to synthetic oil/ATF/differential oil?

If carmakers were satisfied that synthetic fluids enhanced gas mileage, they would probably fill new cars with synths so they could advertise better MPG stats -- assuming EPA rules would allow them to use synths in official testing. (Last time I checked, EPA was so strict they didn't even let them use pump gasoline; it's some other low-octane, widely unavailable fuel I forgot the name of. It's required so all cars are fuel-rated under identical conditions.)

My bet is, the carmakers can't prove to EPA that buyers are likely to replace synthetic fluids with more synthetics at service time, rather than the cheaper and more widely available non-synthetics. Therefore, EPA won't let makers test with synthetics. (I work in a federally regulated industry; this is the kind of hoop regulators make companies jump through.) So there's no point in the added expense.

As far as synthetics' long-term wear-reduction claims go, I don't think automakers give a flip about it. They want you to replace your car as often as possible, and if the one you have goes 150,000 miles and you're happy about that, they've no reason to do anything to make it last longer.

(BTW, I believe in synthetics. I just don't think they're practical for an automaker, given the different requirements they have for equipping new cars.)

Jason94sport said:
It's also complex for a lot of people. Most drivers are happy with the way it is, & when it comes time to replace things they want it to be easy.

And cheap.

Let us remember the sole reason manufacturers started using electric fans: transverse engines. With an in-line powertrain, the belt-driven fan draws mechanical energy directly from the crankshaft. For electric fans, that energy goes through two conversions (mechanical to electrical, electrical back to mechanical) before turning the fan, losing efficiency at each step.

Under certain conditions, some of that loss can be made up by precisely targeting the engine's cooling needs thermostatically. Racers and such can also use electrics to minimize load during peak power needs.

But overall, the direct-driven fan (with an advanced and functioning clutch) is more efficient at using engine power to remove heat.

It's a proven system made of few parts with a long history of development and reliability. That's why the manufacturers use it whenever possible.

How do you test the fan clutch?

Back