Correct battery type | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Correct battery type

dimatrixxx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer Sport 2017
Hey guys!

My stock battery bxt-65-650 is now dead. I replaced it with a new one, but not the same, the new one is bxt-65-850. I just want to get help which battery type I need to choose in Forscan. My stock battery was number 21 (BdyCM 726-04-01), for the new one I set number 15 (Group 49/H8 90Ah 800CCA) but I’m not sure if this type is correct because I cannot find anywhere info on how many Ah the motorcraft 850 battery have. Or maybe it is better to choose Number 22 which is bxt-65-750?
The spread sheet you can find here FORScan 2011-2020 Explorers

Some help would be great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you replaced that battery did you reset the BMS (Battery Management System)? If not, the BMS will retain the history/memory of the previous battery.

Peter

Yes, BMS reset is done. Now 0 days shown in forscan.

So no one can help me with choosing the correct battery type. Maybe someone can help me in understanding this values:
As I bought a battery (65-850) I charged it at home at room temp- after fully charged I waited about 8 hours and measured the volts = 12,9 V
There after I installed the battery in to the car, BMS reset, changed the type of battery and then drive to work (about 10 miles). After coming in the evening back from the work I connected Forscan, it showes about 70% of SOC. I closed the car and waited for about 1 hour, then open the hood and measured the volts directly on the battery = 12,5V. In the morning I opened the hood before starting engine and measured the volts direcrtly on the battery =12,3V. I switched ignition on and connected forscan, the SOC is 99% (the car was off for more than 8 hours). At night the temp outside was about 0Celsius (32F), my car stays outside in the night.
I find strange that my battery is 99 SOC and only delivers 12,3V and I find strange the battery temp, forscan shows 55C (131F) which can not be true! Please help me, as I'm not really understanding the meaning of this values. The whole think why I'm doing it- I want to be sure that my car understands which battery is in and charge it properly
This photo is taken mornings before starting the engine:
Before start engine (after a night).jpeg

This photo is taken mornings after the engine drops down the rpm to 600:
After starting the engine.jpeg

Sounds more like the alternator isn't doing anything. What is the battery voltage when the engine is running?

You mean meassure direct on the battery or on the forscan?

Hey guys!

My stock battery bxt-65-650 is now dead. I replaced it with a new one, but not the same, the new one is bxt-65-850. I just want to get help which battery type I need to choose in Forscan. My stock battery was number 21 (BdyCM 726-04-01), for the new one I set number 15 (Group 49/H8 90Ah 800CCA) but I’m not sure if this type is correct because I cannot find anywhere info on how many Ah the motorcraft 850 battery have. Or maybe it is better to choose Number 22 which is bxt-65-750?
The spread sheet you can find here FORScan 2011-2020 Explorers

Some help would be great!
hi did you ever figure this out? i have a 2017 explorer and looking to upgrade my battery to the same one you bought, the 850 cca. But I would like to get this correct

Back