Cost of valve cover gasket on a 2002 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cost of valve cover gasket on a 2002 XLT

drdoug

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT. Stock.
Hey everyone I’m looking at a 2002 that is in great shape save for a left rear valve cover oil Leak that drips onto the header. Has anyone paid a garage to do this job and how much did you pay ? Thank you in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone I’m looking at a 2002 that is in great shape save for a left rear valve cover oil Leak that drips onto the header. Has anyone paid a garage to do this job and how much did you pay ? Thank you in advance
I have the same problem and got a quote to do both valve covers. They said $700.00. I can but the gaskets for less than $50 including the intake manifold gaskets. The time that I was quoted was 4 hours.

If you do it yourself make sure not to loose the metal grommets in the valve cover bolt holes.

Was quoted around $700 for both covers as well, ended up doing them myself as well as intake manifold gaskets as Phil stated for about $40.
The only issue I ran into was the EGR tube would NOT budge, ended up bending it slightly out of the way as many others have suggested and got the job done in about 4 hours. Aside from the EGR it's a relatively easy job if you have the time for it.
Good luck

Why don't you clean the outside with brake clean and put some lucas oil stop leak in it. It could stop the leak or slow it down. I personally would live with it if i could slow it down a bit. Saves you $700 on a vehicle that's worth $2k.

Stop leak is a good way to burn a bearing or swipe a camshaft. Back in the old days when engines had big tolerances and oil was convention and thick it did not matter as much now. That's why they use 5W-20 synthetic oil as oppossed to the old 10W-40.

You're better off to replace the gaskets.

Back