• Register Today It's free!

Couple front diff questions...

Workman

Reaction score
City, State
Buckhannon, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
I was working on my buddy's '99 Mounty 5.0 yesterday. His is running in 2wd. I just replaced the transfer case in my '98 so I thought I was ready to tackle another one.
Before tearing it apart, I decided to test it first. We jacked up all four wheels and ran it in drive. Only the rear tires turned but the front driveshaft was also spinning. When I spun either front tire, it didn't affect the opposite side. Spinning the right front, I could hear a light grind or rattle coming from around the diff. I couldn't find the right size torqx bit for the front shaft (probably a T30) so I couldn't pull the shaft completely. But I did unbolt it from the transfer case so I could spin it without turning the rear as well. The front shaft spins free, no noises, no resistance.

So, what could have broken?

I have access to a D35 from a jeep but that's a rear axle, will parts interchange?

I cant find a rebuild tutorial for the D35 from the explorer but I have found them for jeeps. Would one of those tutorials be any help for me? The only diffs I've ever rebuilt was in my old RX7 and a rear in a Kia Sportage. Never done a front before.

Back