Couple of window issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swordfish94x

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 4dr 2wd Explorer
I just posted about about my driver door rattling, but decided to make a separate post for these issues. One started before I jumped/mudded in it and one after but I forget which was first.
First off my driver window still has power but it's like it gets stuck sometimes and I have to push on the window for it to move. I think this means my regulator is going out but I'm not sure exactly.
Second off I think this one happened after the mud, but it's basically like my window lock is stuck on so the driver panel will roll all the windows up and down but if someone presses on their door control it makes the window stop moving so they all still are functional.
Yes I know these are all pretty simple fixes but all together are gonna take a lot of time to figure out and fix. Just if anyone has any ideas where to start is really appreciate it. Thank you guys and hopefully when I wake up I have something to go off of!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just posted about about my driver door rattling, but decided to make a separate post for these issues. One started before I jumped/mudded in it and one after but I forget which was first.
First off my driver window still has power but it's like it gets stuck sometimes and I have to push on the window for it to move. I think this means my regulator is going out but I'm not sure exactly.
Second off I think this one happened after the mud, but it's basically like my window lock is stuck on so the driver panel will roll all the windows up and down but if someone presses on their door control it makes the window stop moving so they all still are functional.
Yes I know these are all pretty simple fixes but all together are gonna take a lot of time to figure out and fix. Just if anyone has any ideas where to start is really appreciate it. Thank you guys and hopefully when I wake up I have something to go off of!

I've also had this problem. It could be related to your first issue, as you're currently probably missing the rear lower glass channel, but I find with age, dirt and wear to the channels (and no doubt also the regulator), the glass can jam in the channels. This happened on my daughter's 2000 Mountaineer to the point where she bent the heck out of her regulator. I was able to straighten it out again and then I lubed the window channels with Liquid Wrench brand foaming silicon spray. Her windows been working like new for over a year now. I've also had to do this trick on 2 other of my Explores. I figured I'd have to spray the channels periodically, but it's probably been a year now and all 3 the windows are still working just fine.

These issues happen to the driver's door first because the door and window are opened and closed more than the other doors.

Well thank you very much for all your input on my slurry of problems haha, I'm gonna try to start playing with it today if I have the time. I'm just making sure I understand correctly, the whole window lock stuck on could be caused by the driver channel being broken?

Well thank you very much for all your input on my slurry of problems haha, I'm gonna try to start playing with it today if I have the time. I'm just making sure I understand correctly, the whole window lock stuck on could be caused by the driver channel being broken?

It's possible. No way to know w/out getting into the door. I'm not sure what you mean by "locking stuck", but if you mean the window jams when going down, I find that the way the window is designed the rear channel does most of the work. As the glass goes down the front of the glass is largely unsupported and the rear tends to hang up. If you put the window part-way down and grab the glass with your hands, then pull up on the front and then the rear you'll see how it can rock in the channels. That ability for the glass to rock is what contributes to it jamming, along with a dirty and possibly disconnected rear lower channel. When your window jams is the glass crooked in the door? if you pull down on the rear of the glass as it's going down does it go down okay? Does the glass go up okay? Are your regulator arms bent (they should be fairly straight)?

It's possible. No way to know w/out getting into the door. I'm not sure what you mean by "locking stuck", but if you mean the window jams when going down, I find that the way the window is designed the rear channel does most of the work. As the glass goes down the front of the glass is largely unsupported and the rear tends to hang up. If you put the window part-way down and grab the glass with your hands, then pull up on the front and then the rear you'll see how it can rock in the channels. That ability for the glass to rock is what contributes to it jamming, along with a dirty and possibly disconnected rear lower channel. When your window jams is the glass crooked in the door? if you pull down on the rear of the glass as it's going down does it go down okay? Does the glass go up okay? Are your regulator arms bent (they should be fairly straight)?

Just took my panel off and everything seems to be aligned pretty straight and nothing looks broken. When I roll it up and down it doesn't go crooked at all and I just have to help pull it up and down, doesn't really matter location of where I pull really. However if I let go it jams right up again, so almost makes me think motors going out.
By window lock I mean the child lock on the windows, none of the other doors window controls actually move their own window anymore. I can roll them up and down with the driver control but if someone is pressing the button on the respective door it still gets the signal and makes the window stop moving until they let go of their button. That issue makes me think it's wiring or it got shorted out somehow.

Back