Courtesy lights | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Courtesy lights

if you think about it, all you would need to do is find the switch inside the door that turns the lights on when you open the door. Once you find that switch, add a separate switch in the circuit that can disable/enable the lights to turn on.

Seems simple enough but i havent checked my X to see if its possible.

You would have to check, but the dome lights may have a separate fuse. If so, you could easily wire a switch in series with the fuse and then be able to turn the lights off from a switch installed on the lower dash.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Our 2001 explorer has the dome light switch tied into the door latch mechanism in the door.

If I read the 2012 owners manual correctly, this is all on one fuse:

Interior courtesy lamps (overhead console, 2nd row, cargo), Puddle lamps, Console bin LED, Backlighting

And this is on another:

Interior demand lamps (overhead console, 2nd row, cargo), glove box lamp, 2nd and 3rd row seat release, visor lamps

Decipher away....

Being the master of the cheap fixes, I simply put a piece of black electrical tape over the light. My wife sits back there with our baby and pulls it to expose whatever amount of light she wants. It would always wake up our baby when I opened the doors. Now sleeps like a champ.

Being the master of the cheap fixes, I simply put a piece of black electrical tape over the light. My wife sits back there with our baby and pulls it to expose whatever amount of light she wants. It would always wake up our baby when I opened the doors. Now sleeps like a champ.
Are you planning on taking out a patent on all these fixes.:D

Peter

Maybe you should look into a new baby that is less light sensitive. :)

What can't you do with a little electrical tape?

Ever consider painting the light bulbs red? works well in conditions where you do not want your night vision disrupted.

Another reason not to have kids... I'm kidding of course, I like that idea painting the light red or blue....

My Explorer is an '02. Unless it's something that they're taken away a decade later for yours Fred163, I have the dial / dimmer for the dash lights. If I dim the dash lights as low as they can go and then continue turning the little dial lower until there's a little light click, then all of the interior lights will be completely off, regardless if the vehicle is on / off, doors are pen / closed or any combination there of... They're just completely off... In order to turn them back on, simply turn the dial for the dash lights back up. :)

Wish I saw this earlier for you and good luck! :)

My Explorer is an '02. Unless it's something that they're taken away a decade later for yours Fred163, I have the dial / dimmer for the dash lights. If I dim the dash lights as low as they can go and then continue turning the little dial lower until there's a little light click, then all of the interior lights will be completely off, regardless if the vehicle is on / off, doors are pen / closed or any combination there of... They're just completely off... In order to turn them back on, simply turn the dial for the dash lights back up. :)

Wish I saw this earlier for you and good luck! :)
Won't work on the new Explorers. No way to switch them off. I have no idea what the thinking was behind that. Perhaps the next model will have a $200 option to turn off interior lights.;)

Peter

Man what a busy day... This thread sounded familiar and didn't realize I already replied to it... ROTFLMAO

That's it, an option, rts make it a 400.00 option, it will take engineers awhile to figure this out.

Hey I’m not sure if it’s possible but does anybody know if it’s possible to have control of the interior lights. I hate having them come on all the time. Like whenever I open the door or turn the vehicle off.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one. There are others on this as well.
I believe that there are 2 fuses. One is for the 'Demand; lights and the other is for the 'Courtesy' lights. i suppose you can remove either or both of those. I think FORScan may allow you to select a feature called ' Dark Mode'.

Peter

Thanks. I will check that out

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one. There are others on this as well.
I believe that there are 2 fuses. One is for the 'Demand; lights and the other is for the 'Courtesy' lights. i suppose you can remove either or both of those. I think FORScan may allow you to select a feature called ' Dark Mode'.

Peter

Thanks. I will check that out

Forscan can indeed do that, it is from the PIUs - you will also need to enable 'Silent Car' from what I remember reading. Both are features that cops use as they idle a lot (doing no-I mean being out on patrol) and don't need their lights on when the doors open.

Forscan can indeed do that, it is from the PIUs - you will also need to enable 'Silent Car' from what I remember reading. Both are features that cops use as they idle a lot (doing no-I mean being out on patrol) and don't need their lights on when the doors open.
Is this something the dealer has to do

Is this something the dealer has to do

Forscan is a reverse engineered version of Fords official software, IDS. Dealers pay to rent IDS from Ford (~2.5k/yr) as well as specific OBD II equipment.

You can do a lot of the same things waaaay cheaper by using an OBD II reader (needs to be HS-CAN & MS-CAN capable) and using FORScans free extended license. You will need to invest time and patience to do so however.

Since these features are for police vehicles only, dealers probably won't do it. You can always ask if they'll use IDS to enable those features though. They'll probably charge an arm and a leg for it.

Whatever you do, don't mention forscan whenever you're at the dealer, ask for reprogramming, if anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Forscan is a reverse engineered version of Fords official software, IDS. Dealers pay to rent IDS from Ford (~2.5k/yr) as well as specific OBD II equipment.

You can do a lot of the same things waaaay cheaper by using an OBD II reader (needs to be HS-CAN & MS-CAN capable) and using FORScans free extended license. You will need to invest time and patience to do so however.

Since these features are for police vehicles only, dealers probably won't do it. You can always ask if they'll use IDS to enable those features though. They'll probably charge an arm and a leg for it.

Whatever you do, don't mention forscan whenever you're at the dealer, ask for reprogramming, if anything.
Thanks. I’ll talk to a friend of mine. He’s a tech at the dealer

Back