Courtesy lights and steering wheel lights not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Courtesy lights and steering wheel lights not working

Heimy4

Reaction score
City, State
St. Peters, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport and recently my battery died over night and we don't believe any lights were left on or doors left open. After replacing the battery i noticed at night time my dome lights, "Explorer" in door threshold and steering wheel lights were not illuminating when the door opens and the car is shut off. I checked the #12, #4 and #23 fuses and they look to be fine. I can manually turn the dome lights on, but the dome light switch doesn't seem to be doing anything. Any ideas?

This issue occurs when any door is opened, so i do not believe it's a door switch.

Thank you

Are you able to manually turn the interior lights ON? If yes, then that covers the "Demand Lamps". The lights coming on with the door opening are "Courtesy Lamps".
I don't think it is normal for a battery to die overnight unless there is a constant drain on it. Perhaps there is another issue that caused that.
When the battery was replaced, was the BMS (Battery Management System) reset to delete the memory of the old battery? Did you leave the vehicle sit undisturbed for 8 hours as per the manual? These factors may not be the reason for the current issue but are mentioned in your Owner's Manual as procedures to follow when a battery is replaced.
As for the running boards, they would have been an aftermarket item so I don't know how their lights would have been hooked up.
This may require a dealer or independent garage visit to have the issue checked out. I don't know if this may have set a trouble code or not.

Peter

Are you able to manually turn the interior lights ON? If yes, then that covers the "Demand Lamps". The lights coming on with the door opening are "Courtesy Lamps".
I don't think it is normal for a battery to die overnight unless there is a constant drain on it. Perhaps there is another issue that caused that.
When the battery was replaced, was the BMS (Battery Management System) reset to delete the memory of the old battery? Did you leave the vehicle sit undisturbed for 8 hours as per the manual? These factors may not be the reason for the current issue but are mentioned in your Owner's Manual as procedures to follow when a battery is replaced.
As for the running boards, they would have been an aftermarket item so I don't know how their lights would have been hooked up.
This may require a dealer or independent garage visit to have the issue checked out. I don't know if this may have set a trouble code or not.

Peter
Hello, thank you for your help...I am able to manually turn the lights on when i push them. So i guess it's just related to the "Courtesy Lights".

I was out of town when the battery died and maybe it was just a coincidence that the battery died at the same time the interior lights stopped working. I was not able to let anything sit for 8 hours.

I apologize, when i say running boards...i just mean the standard door frame where the work "Explorer" is displayed. I do not have after market running boards installed.

Back