Crack in Hatchback Panel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Crack in Hatchback Panel

Hello all,

I recently received a crack in the hatchback panel in my 2002 explorer, it is right below the window and I have included (below) the TSBs for the issue.

My question is this: many at carcomplaints.com have had this fixed for about $350 at their dealer, only to have it happen again. Does this mean the TSBs do not actually have a fix that prevent it from happening again? Also, is there a temporary fix I can apply, something to put in the crack perhaps, to prevent it from spreading?

Thanks all.

----------------------------------

Make : FORD Model : EXPLORER Year : 2002
Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Service Bulletin Num : 03126 Date of Bulletin: JUN 23, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10002687
Component: STRUCTURE:BODY:HATCHBACK/LIFTGATE
Summary:
LIFTGATE GLASS APPLIQUE DAMAGED/CRACKED - SERVICE PROCEDURE. *TT

Service Bulletin Num : 0485 Date of Bulletin: JAN 01, 2005
NHTSA Item Number: 10008546
Component: STRUCTURE:BODY
Summary:
LIFTGATE GLASS APPLIQUE DAMAGED/CRACKED. SERVICE PROCEDURE. *TT

Service Bulletin Num : 15892 Date of Bulletin: MAY 01, 2002
NHTSA Item Number: 637771
Component: STRUCTURE:BODY
Summary:
SUBJECT REGARDING REAR LIFTGATE APPLIQUE (TRIM PANEL) CRACKS. *TT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '03's cracked last winter and we still haven't done anything with it. I'll be watching this one for solutions ;).

My '03's cracked last winter and we still haven't done anything with it. I'll be watching this one for solutions ;).

Has your crack expanded since the initial crack? I have heard of it happening a lot (basically until its unbearable to watch or until it falls off)... but i'm hoping that for the most part it won't be an issue. i am hoping to seal it with anything to keep water from getting in there.

Actually it just made a clean split from top to bottom, and all its done since then is just open up a bit more (gap in the crack got a little larger to 1/16" or so.) As far as any concern for water getting in there, the worst that can happen is over time (a long time) it could loosen the adhesive that holds the panel to the glass but we're only talking about glass and plastic so no fear of rust or the like. Doesn't mean I don't want it fixed any less though - it looks like butt!:mad: My guy at the dealership quoted me $100 for the new panel and then of course whatever the takes to get it prepped/painted.

Actually it just made a clean split from top to bottom, and all its done since then is just open up a bit more (gap in the crack got a little larger to 1/16" or so.) As far as any concern for water getting in there, the worst that can happen is over time (a long time) it could loosen the adhesive that holds the panel to the glass but we're only talking about glass and plastic so no fear of rust or the like. Doesn't mean I don't want it fixed any less though - it looks like butt!:mad: My guy at the dealership quoted me $100 for the new panel and then of course whatever the takes to get it prepped/painted.

Well... that makes me a little happier, I guess, since I don't have to worry too much about the panel falling off, and also I wasn't sure how much it was to replace the entire panel (apparently not too much).

Thanks for all your replies. I love my Explorer and hope that this is fixed in newer models

mine aslo cracked from top to bottom and i went to ford and got the back panel for 60 bucks unpainted. the replacement one i got was not a hard plastic so it seems to me that it would hold up better...i got an estimate on pait at 140 bucks from ford. i was gonna replace it myself but it might be harder then i had thought. heres another thread for ya too

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1804030

Hey there flyin'! I just noticed that you're from Grandville. Which dealer sold you the panel for $60? If my guy here in Holland won't match the price I'll just drive out your way! BTY thanks for the tip to the other posts - very helpful!:thumbsup:

No problem. :D It was Borgman Ford on the corner of 28th and Ivanrest.

You da' man! :D

Crack in Hatchback Panel repair

I have a 2003 and mine cracked from top to bottom. I intend to epoxy two small blocks of wood, one on each side of the crack on the inside, use a small "C" clamp to draw the two sides together and then fiberglass the underside. After I fiberglass the underside I will remove the clamping blocks.

Any tiny crack that might be left I will seal with black rtv from the inside.

Does anyone out there think this might be a good idea? Let me know.

Reviving an old thread.. anyone have any pics of some cheap creative ways they covered up or dealt with their back cracks? (didn't sound right huh? Haaaa).. post pics!

Back