Window in Hatchback Won't Stay Open in Winter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window in Hatchback Won't Stay Open in Winter

froglady99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2003 XLT V8
I have a 2003 Explorer XLT. The window in the hatchback won't stay open in the winter. It stays open when the weather is warmer, like now, but in the winter, it just starts closing. I have to let it rest on the top of my head just to keep it open enough to put stuff in or take it out of the back of my car, which is really annoying. I'm hoping I can fix this summer so I won't have to put up with this problem for another winter. Any ideas?

Those hydraulic lift cylinders start start to wear out, and cold weather affects them first. Things contract in cold weather and expand in hot weather. I had the same issue with my hood supports. They'd be weak in the winter. I moved to AZ and got another year of use out of them! Just replace them.

That makes sense, thanks! I checked the website for my favorite auto parts store, and it looks like I can get the parts pretty inexpensively. My hood supports haven't worked in years--I've just used bolt cutters to hold it open--but I think I'll replace those now too.

I replaced the old hydraulic lifts for the rear hatch window recently, and soon after, one of the old hinges broke.

Back