cracked paint on roof welding strip | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cracked paint on roof welding strip

deuce07

Reaction score
City, State
hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 xlt v8 ironman
okay i made a post about this before, about the crack paint I have on the top of my roof on the driver and passenger side (running down the whole roof) indented surface.

I am looking at filling the slot with a weatherstrip to avoid the area from cracking again since I repainted my roof. my car is parked all the time in the sun and its impossible to avoid sun contact

I was wondering if any of you guys thought about or went ahead and filled the area? If so, which part from which car did you use?

please let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you spoken to the dealership about this? im sure there has to be SOME warantee or regulations from the us govt they have to abide for... my truck is almost twice as old as yours and it doesnt have any cracks..

i had the roof already repainted, but just as someone on this forums said, because of the sealant that they use, its bound to crack again.

the paint shop made me sign a paper saying that this is the last time they will repaint it. they told me its because of the consistency of the sealant that ford uses will cause it to crack again.

hell with the weather strip, any reason why you cant just drop some weld wire down in there and seal her up for good?

why would i put weld wire? whats that for?

im saying why cant you just get it welded?

what will welding do?

um...perminately prevent what ever was cracking from cracking again?

the only thing was cracking was the paint. the sealant that ford authorized to use, because of the consistancy, it causes it to crack again. I already had my roof repainted, can't weld it unless i spend more money on my car.

I was the one that posted earlier about the sealant on the roof. What did your body shop do? The one that took care of my truck said that they removed all the old sealant (not a fun job apparently) and resprayed the roof. I'm not sure whether they resealed the channel or just sprayed the paint on but I've never had any leaks and the paint is still holding out OK.

As for putting weatherstrip in the channel I don't think it would stop the paint from cracking again (assuming it will-it's been almost a year for mine)...it's just masking a problem that is still there-which is the paint does not stick properly to the roof.

As a side note the bodyshop says that this is common to F150s as well although mine was the first Explorer that they have seen.

i dont know if my shop removed the old sealant. all i know is it looks alot better when i got it back. i believe what they do is put sealant on it, and spray right on top of it.

i think putting the weather strip would avoid more heat (direct sun contact)

Back