cracked paint problem on roof.. please read! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cracked paint problem on roof.. please read!

deuce07

Reaction score
City, State
hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 xlt v8 ironman
okay guys.. i had this car for 3 years, i have taken my car in alot of times to get multiple and repeated things fixed..

okay on the roof left and right has this pocket channel. each side on my truck had cracked paint which showed some rust forming... ford corporate approved to get them repainted.. this was july? now i noticed that where they repainted it, there are air pockets inside the paint. i am worried if one of them pop, water will get in and rust my roof more.

my warranty has passed in march 6, i was wondering if anyone had ford redo a paint problem they had AGAIN after the warranty expired?

i hope they will take care of this..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235866
No responses!

I looked at a few and most have this issue. It appears that there is movement between the large roof panel and the side panels causing the paint to crack at the seam.

Most cars have this channel covered by a molding of some kind.
I was going to let them repaint it but it will only crack again, many car panels are now galvanized so once they cut through the coating it will make matters worse.
I believe what you refer to air pockets is seam sealant.
Wax the crap out of it and leave the wax in the edge where the paint has failed.

i am going to try get ford to fix it even tho i'm out of warranty. i had them fix it before hand

I had this on my truck as well. Got it covered while the truck was still under bumper to bumper warranty. According to the guy at the body shop (this particular dealer doesn't have their own so they send the work out) there is some sealant that Ford puts in there for whatever reason. The sealant gets painted over and then cracks over time. They scraped out the old sealant and re-painted it...not a fun job according to him. Since then I haven't had any other cracks and no leaks.

okay i went to dealership yesterday. because it was under a year or 12,000 miles, its stil covered.

spoke to the paint shop, they said that this is a problem on all explorers. can you guys please check your roof to see if you got the same problem?

Could you post pictures of this?

I have it on my 02 xlt, not on the xls nor in the 97...

Back