• Register Today It's free!

Cracked Transfer Case

cdazzling

Reaction score
City, State
Anacortes, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
I just discovered a crack in the transfer case of my 2004 XLT part time 4X4 (buttons on dash), 4.0l V6, 5R55 transmission. It is right under the drain plug, hairline and just visible. It is enough to cause it to leak. I have searched the forums and found info on fix options. One option of course is to replace with a used one or use the back half of the case from a core to fix the original. When looking for used ones online I see the multiple choice in the core part number.

(4 Dr), exc. Sport Trac; part time (switch on dash), ID 1L24-7A195-BD
(4 Dr), exc. Sport Trac; part time (switch on dash), ID 1L24-7A195-BE
(4 Dr), exc. Sport Trac; part time (switch on dash), ID 1L24-7A195-BF
(4 Dr), exc. Sport Trac; part time (switch on dash), ID 1L24-7A195-BH
(4 Dr), exc. Sport Trac; part time (switch on dash), ID 1L24-7A195-BJ
(4 Dr), exc. Sport Trac; part time (switch on dash), ID 1L24-7A195-BK
(4 Dr), exc. Sport Trac; part time (switch on dash), ID 4L24-7A195-AB
(4 Dr), exc. Sport Trac; part time (switch on dash), ID 4L24-7A195-AC
(4 Dr), exc. Sport Trac; part time (switch on dash), ID 4L24-7A195-AE
(4 Dr), exc. Sport Trac; part time (switch on dash), ID 4L24-7A195-AF

Can any one tell me what the 04 would be using and what other model years (20,03,05) would be direct replacements. What is the difference in the various units with difference suffix letters. I what to make sure whatever I order is the right one of course.

I am also considering trying other options to fix the one I have based on the other threads on this subject.

Well I called the dealer and with the last 8 characters of the VIN he was able to identify the unit as the 4L24-7A195AC and apparently any of the suffixes AB, AC, AE, AF swap in. The higher order AE, AF are updates and that seems to be confirmed in that the later ones are also listed for the 05 Explorers as well. Probably should just go with the latest update I would think.

Dude, if it's a hairline crack I would honestly try JB Weld to stop the leak. Drain the fluid, clean the area around the leak really well, to include de-greasing it. Rough it up with a grinder, then apply JB Weld per instructions. You might think I'm crazy but I grew up on a farm and I've seen this stuff fix a lot of things. I would absolutely try this were I you (but admittedly, I'm not).

I have considered a number of options and have arrived at the following:

Plan A: Try RTV and thread tape on the plug as well as RTV filling the crack and extending back along the bottom of the case. I tend to favor the RTV since it will remain flexible if the crack moves at all. If I were to use a solid material I would pick MarineTex which is used a lot in boat repair applications and has a truly awesome bonding ability to the metal. Even then if the case cracks further it will crack with it. At any rate my mechanic shop is willing to work with me to try plan A.

Plan B: Get a used case with low miles of the same or better upgrade part number and the same or less miles than mine. Just swap the units and call it a day.

Back