Cranking problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cranking problem

CJEG

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
92Explorer 4WD
1992 explorer will not crank. Battery good. Starter and solenoid good. Connections tight. Starter relay just clicks once every time I turn the key. Could it be the neutral sensor switch. Tired of parking on hills.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When the starter just clicks, usually the brushes have worn down, especially in higher mileage first gens, definitely with the original starter.

You can be extra sure by tapping the starter the next time it won't start. Use a block of wood or a rubber hammer, something that won't damage the starter housing. If it starts up after you whack it, you can be sure it's the brushes.

You can get the brush assembly inexpensively if you know enough to partly disassemble the starter, or know someone who does. It beats buying a new one for $100+ or getting a cheap China-made one.

If it's not the starter itself, it could be either the starter-mounted solenoid, or the fender-mounted solenoid near the battery. Both are also inexpensive and fairly simple to replace.

I can price you out a genuine Ford starter if you would like. Please PM me the VIN so I can check

-Benny

Not the starter. Not the solenoid. Not the relay. Not the battery. Not the connections. Again: Could it be the neutral sensor switch?

Not the starter. Not the solenoid. Not the relay. Not the battery. Not the connections. Again: Could it be the neutral sensor switch?

If it were the switch you would not get any click at all, Im leaning towards bad starter.....

Keep us posted

Thanks for your confirming response.

Back