Cranks no start due to no spark...code reader not communicating with vehicle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cranks no start due to no spark...code reader not communicating with vehicle

EB4X

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orange county, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer 4X 4.0 ohv
Came upon fellow Sploder owner broke down on side of the road...('91...I have 95) .....pulled over to help >>> Cranks fine but no start due to no spark (which I determined)....My OBD1 code reader not communicating with vehicle....is this likely due to bad PCM / ECU on both issues ?
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do the dash lights illuminate properly before attempting to start?

do the dash lights illuminate properly before ...
I wasn't paying attention but from what I recall there was one dash light on the left that was lit....

Improper adjustment of spark plug gap. The gap is too small, not only limiting the contact area between the spark and the mixture, but also inhibiting the growth of the flame core due to the "flame suppression" effect of the electrode. Although the spark jumps, the spark is weak, making it difficult for the mixture to ignite; If the gap is too large, the ignition voltage provided by the ignition system may be insufficient to cause a spark between the spark plug electrodes.

Check for the check engine light to illuminate. If it doesn't, the crankshaft position sensor is the most likely cause, if the bulb on the dash works. The edis module is separate from the ecm, the wiring for the module goes under the battery tray and can rub through in that spot.

When turning the key, wait a few seconds before starting and listen for the fuel pump to run and charge the fuel system. If the fuel pump doesn't run for a second or two, its likely the PCM is dead. Might explain why the code reader won't talk to it.

Back