Cup holder question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cup holder question

mezrein

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Mazda Navajo
Ok don't judge, I know this may sound like a lame question, but on my 93 Navajo stick shift, the cup holder position is horrible, if I put any cup larger than a standard coffee cup in the holders, I either a, cant shift easily into second because the gear shift slams into the cup, or b, cant put her in reverse for the same reason on the other side. Its almost as if the center console setup was intended for an automatic and not a stick. Anyone run into this before? My center console is also the arm rests for both driver and passenger.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine's not a stick, but very common. Even in cars built with every intention of having three pedals, that exact issue has cropped up (I know for sure certain years of Mustang). I suppose consols can be modified, or cup holders can be put in other spots. That's about as good as it gets. :)

Common annoying issue. I use a regular size cup, can be worked around. But my wife likes those super gulp fat person (no offense) cups. I stare at here when needing to go in reverse until she picks it up.

Common annoying issue. I use a regular size cup, can be worked around. But my wife likes those super gulp fat person (no offense) cups. I stare at here when needing to go in reverse until she picks it up.

I do the exact same thing to my wife lol. There is a fix for it, hurst makes a short throw shifter that greatly reduces the shifter thriw so tou can shift and still have cups in the cup holders, but it will cost you around 300 bucks. I will be buying one at some point. I agree it's very annoying.

I do the exact same thing to my wife lol. There is a fix for it, hurst makes a short throw shifter that greatly reduces the shifter thriw so tou can shift and still have cups in the cup holders, but it will cost you around 300 bucks. I will be buying one at some point. I agree it's very annoying.

Ya, think Ill just make my wife move her cup when I need to shift. 300 bucks is a tad much for me. :)

Speaking of shifters, anyone else's shifter knob break inside and now just pop off?

No but I sure would love to know how to replace it. Id like to have a custom shift knob

The shift knob is just splined. You can pull them off if you pull hard enough. A simple fix is to put a wrap or two of electrical tape on the splines, then slip the shift knob on. It stays on surprisingly well. As for the shifter hitting drinks, I got sick of it. You can find the cup holders that sit at the base of the shifter (usually a newer ranger), but I actually built a different shifter. I simply cut it off the base, and bent a 5/8" rod in the shape I wanted, then welded it on. I can fit any drink I want now, and still shift fine.

Snapchat--7972271831218608813.jpg

Check the junkyards for manual transmission rangers to "steal" the shifter boot from. That's what I did when I changed my auto to a manual. It has a cup holder on each side of the shifter, and now I just use the ones on the center console to store small things, like loose change and gum! :)

Check the junkyards for manual transmission rangers to "steal" the shifter boot from. That's what I did when I changed my auto to a manual. It has a cup holder on each side of the shifter, and now I just use the ones on the center console to store small things, like loose change and gum! :)

Can you take a pic of it?

Google to the rescue:

hurstrev7_zpsfuv0jaac.jpg

That doesn't look to bad really. Does the cup holder impact the side of your leg at all?

No, it fits real nice! Check when you find one, mine still had the slip in adapters to fit smaller cups, too. If I remember, I got mine out of a 89 ranger.

That setup seems like the cup holders are awfully shallow, I can just see me taking a corner, bottle falls out into the footwear and rolls under the break pedal. I actually had it happen once in a pickup I had a small console/cup holder set on the hump in it had an automatic but bench seat so no cup holders. Turned a corner bottle of Pepsi rolled out and right under the brake pedal, luckily the emergency brake worked, had to kick the ebrake and throw it sideways to avoid rear ending a semi, stopped close enough to reach my arm out and touch the door (since I was sideways at that point) I'll spend the 300 on the shifter lol. That drink carrier organizer went in the nearest dumpster after that.

That setup seems like the cup holders are awfully shallow, I can just see me taking a corner, bottle falls out into the footwear and rolls under the break pedal. I actually had it happen once in a pickup I had a small console/cup holder set on the hump in it had an automatic but bench seat so no cup holders. Turned a corner bottle of Pepsi rolled out and right under the brake pedal, luckily the emergency brake worked, had to kick the ebrake and throw it sideways to avoid rear ending a semi, stopped close enough to reach my arm out and touch the door (since I was sideways at that point) I'll spend the 300 on the shifter lol. That drink carrier organizer went in the nearest dumpster after that.

My current cup holders are fairly shallow, there is a cheap spring system you can get to put into the cup holder that expands and contracts depending on the size of the cup and actually squeezes the cup/bottle. My mom has one in her Navajo, doesn't matter the size of the bottle so long as it generally fits in the cup holder.

Back