• Register Today It's free!

Crazy noise

volver

Reaction score
City, State
Milan, IL Quad City area
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT AWD
I installed an M112 supercharger. In the processes of tuning the engine. A strange noise happens when boosting. I am afraid to push it because of the noise.

noise sounds like- a sheet metal rattling sizzling buzz

noise happens
noise happens- when engine is under load only pushing boost to 3 psi above 4000 rpm.
noise happens- when engine is under heaver load pushing 6 psi at 3000 rpm.
noise happens- when engine is under heaver load (more than 3/4 throttle) pushing 10 psi boost 2500 rpm.
The heaver the load the sooner the sound.

The sound comes from somewhere in this region. between the back of the engine to the front portion of the transmission. Sound is coming from under the dash in the center of the car..

Any thoughts on what it could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should I take it to the ford dealer and have a mechanic ride along and see If they can identify the noise.

They would know about Explorers and Lightnings I hope.

If i had to make a guess, i would say it might be something with the flywheel torque converter or something like that. if it only happens under load and it's coming from the back of the motor, then it may be that. Have you check the trans fluid? are your shifts different then normal, does the torque converter lock at 2200rpms when driving normally?

More information would be helpful

Justin

Edit: maybe a video would be helpful to find out what it exactly sounds like.

They would know about Explorers and Lightnings I hope.

Don't count on it, I take very few vehicles to the dealer for stuff like that. Hell- they thought the engine in my '93 Taurus SHO was aftermarket. The next tech said "I love these supercharged V8's..."

...I haven't been back since :D

Could it be something relating to the PCV valve?

Don't count on it, I take very few vehicles to the dealer for stuff like that. Hell- they thought the engine in my '93 Taurus SHO was aftermarket. The next tech said "I love these supercharged V8's..."

...I haven't been back since :D

LOLz

I thought it could be the rear bearings in the SC. The SC was feeling hot. I asked on an f-series truck forum how hot the SC's get. turns out mine is fine.

PCV is brand new.

tranny shifts normally when accelerating normally. I have not shifted when boosting. Fluid looks good. I did some dataloging of the tranny everything seems to be normal. The temp is not high. James Henson the tuner says that it could be a tranny pump. I think he is guessing also.

I think I should go rev the engine when in neutral and see if the noise is there.

Probably can't eliminate accessories by removing the belt, huh? Can you run a short belt to eliminate the supercharger from the equation of noise?

Back