• Register Today It's free!

Custom Air Scoops

slaughterrt

Reaction score
City, State
Old Bridge, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Hey everyone. I am installing a performance cone-shaped air filter (K&N knockoff) and I was thinking of doing a custom air scoop job. I originally was just going to install a hood scoop on the front passenger side of the hood near the air filter, however, I was talking to a friend who suggested another type of air scoop. He was saying that his old race car had the scoops that fit in the grill compartment and the air was just blown through a pipe and released near the air filter. I was wondering if anyone had tried that with their explorer (mine is a 99 XLT). I was curious if that would actually help performance any at all or if it would have no affect whatsoever. If there was some benefit to doing all of this, I was going to install a 4" air scoop into the existing holes for the fog/driving lights (after removing the lights of course) and pipe the scoops to where the air filter is. I thought this would look pretty neat as well, having a mesh grill and a blacked out scoop where the fog lights were. I would like to hear anyone's comments on this idea and if anyone has experience with air scoops then please let me know. This is just an inexpensive custom job that I have been considering for a while and I wanted to know what yall think. Thanks guys.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247050

You will have to cut a bunch of stuff and bend some sheet metal out of the way behind the light. very custom

Works great, when its cold out side. The air in the engine comartment is hot when you are not moving. so if you stop at a light then race you have to suck up all the hot air untill you get moving ,at which point the air will circulate around then cool off. But the tube sticks out of the heat and sucks cold air right off the line so there are beter launches. more trottle respons once moveing at 35+ becasue air is being ramed down the intake. but it make no boost according to my vac boost gauge.

Very nice custom ram air intake Volver. The pictures gave me an idea where to start. I was thinking about using a 3" pvc pipe 90 facing out at each of the fog light holes (putting a screen on the end facing outwards). Then either running the driver side one over to the passenger side one and wye-ing them together below the air filter box and adapting it into the hole in the air filter box. Sounds easy enough, the hardest part probably would be stabilizing the pipe so it doesn't bounce around too much. Luckily I have 5 years of plumbing and hvac behind me, so I can get most of the material from work (and possibly do some of it at work as well). Anyway, I shall definitely post pics once I get going. Thanks Volver for the response and look forward to posting pics.

Back