Cut Down or Full Width? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cut Down or Full Width?

if yer looking for a hp dana 44 out of a f150 i probably know someone with one. it would be the same person i'm getting mine from. seems he has access to quite a bit of stuff. depending on how much yer willing to pay for it. $250 plus shipping. shipping sucks. anyways found him on ebay and emailed him to see if maybe he had one. so i should be buying it monday. i'm sure he could find another. atleast i guess he could

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a guy that I found (login name Gub_NI(?)) who would sell me one for $300, plus shipping or gas $$ which would be the same (~$100). He has one or two left that are still set up for coils. The problem is that for $400, I've seen axles that are somewhat rebuilt minus gears, etc. I am just keeping my eye out for some that are slightly or totally rebuilt. Just so I can save some time and money. I've seen a few in CO, AZ, CA, etc. as I mentioned above and if I could find one over there with the things I'm looking for, it would be worth the shipping to get one over here.

As of now, my plan is to get the axles under my truck before I have to go back to school(too many reasons to explain why). I might PM you if I can't find any better deals or one that is closer. Thanks :thumbsup:

5:13...

i just want a bare HP Dana44 housing, with the knuckles, so i can slowly build it with all new parts.

whats a good price for a bare housing and knuckles?

i've been checking out the gear ratio guide for larger tires... and 4.88's with 37's barely makes it out of the "highway driving, good gas mileage" range which means worse gas mileage cuz its got to push those big tires. 5.13's put u in the upper part of the daily driver range closer to the towing and power range. which means less effort to move the tires and means better mileage. longer tranny life etc... i just really think u'd be happier with 5.13's. i personally wouldn't run 37's with only 5.13's but its a hell of alot better than 4.88's. c'mon u know u want that extra power ;)

hiridin said:

i would say definatly less then a hundred bucks, i guess it depends what you want.

im ganna try and just go to a pick-and-pull to get mine. A lot of junkyards dont let you pull yourself so they charge a lot more. BMX, didnt you get that 9" for relativly cheap? im sure you can get a HP D44 for a decent price. just gotta hunt around yr area.

i was checking all the salvage yards around me for one. and not a single one was under a grand. all the way up to $2000+ and it would still need a gear change and a locker. and these are ofcourse used. which is y i think my $250 plus shipping was not that bad. these places around here expect to get top dollar for what they have.

hiridin said:
i was checking all the salvage yards around me for one. and not a single one was under a grand. all the way up to $2000+ and it would still need a gear change and a locker. and these are ofcourse used. which is y i think my $250 plus shipping was not that bad. these places around here expect to get top dollar for what they have.

thats rediculous.

What about the pull-it-yards?

i really wont pay more then a hundred bucks for it. especially since im gonna pay someone $250 bucks to cut it down, or pay over a grand for a welder and spare metal to learn how to weld on :thumbsup:

i just called Pull-a-part in charlotte. They had a couple Ford 'pickups' im not sure if thats an f150 or not, but they had everything from 1970-1982 with those. The broncos they only had a 86. Their phone system is a tough one...This is is the price their web site gave me for the front axle off one.

AXLE FT ASSY COMPLETE 4x4 P/U-VAN $139.29

...you should beable to find something like that.

I got mine at Pull-A-Part in Norcross. I've gone there EVERY single time I've seen on their site that they have a new Ford "pick-up". All of them so far have been 2wd, and I've checked for the past 3-4 months or so. No Broncos, only Bronco IIs, as long as I've looked there. They hardly allow any tools in there, which is why I pulled the rear end there. A front end would require much more time and tools to get it out. That's why I am now checking with people who have already have one pulled b/c it would be worth the little bit of extra money. The only salvage yards I've seen that have them and are anywhere around here are 4-5 hours away in south GA or NC, or SC. Trust me, they are a pain to pull at the P.A.P.

Check car-part.com (?) there were a few salvage yards on there (search southeast) and they were in NC for like $200-450 dollars. Most all of them were 3.50 gears that I saw. Trust me, I've checked everywhere I can think of. Just waiting on a few people to get back to me so I can find out for sure how much, etc.

it cant be that bad. What tools do they let you bring? all i would need is a basic 1/2 drive socket set with some good extenions, a BFH and a breaker bar should do the trick

id much rather pull it myself if it saves me a few hundred bucks. a couple hours in the sun aint a big deal. esspecially if i can bring a friend.

just gotta be persistant. You'll get what you want.

Trust me. When I pulled the rear end, everything was stuck on there. No matter how much liquid wrench I sprayed, none of the u-bolts would budge. I had to hack saw them off, and I had friends there helping. It took us about three hours to pull the dang thing. I can't imagine how long it would be to pull a front end. They won't let you bring ANY power tools other than a drill, if you're lucky. Don't plan on getting off anything that is riveted to the frame. It's not gonna happen. Good luck if you do pull the axle. :)

breaker bar :thumbsup:

hiridin said:

I paid $100 for the 1979 F-250 HP D44 and it's just the housing and knuckles. Good luck in your search BMX, If you were a little closer I might be able to help you out. Just take your time and find what you want

stretch said:
I paid $100 for the 1979 F-250 HP D44 and it's just the housing and knuckles. Good luck in your search BMX, If you were a little closer I might be able to help you out. Just take your time and find what you want

stretch, would you know the weight difference between the F-250 D44 and the F150 D44? I was under the impression the housing on the F-250 D44 was ribbed and much stronger then the f150/bronco axle.

Not too sure on the weight difference. It does have the extra ribbing and thicker 1/2" axle tubes though, so I'm sure there is a weight difference. It was heavy enough when I had to carry it by myself! If you're planning on going with the stock coil/radius arm set-up, the f150 would be a better choice since it would already have the coil brackets on it. The F250 was set up for leafs (which is perfect for me since I've already cut those brackets off to go with C/O). I bought it to do exactly what you want to do, build it slowly to get exactly what I want. Sorry to hijack your thread bmxking.

have you looked for a whole rig 78-79 f-150 or bronco, sale the engine, transmission and transfercase pull your axles,coil buckets,radius arms,trac bar and mount. then call the scrapper to come get the hulk.
but this all depends on your parents and space.

Once you go past 4.88 you start to lose strength in D44 ring and pinion.
When I set up my lift height, I was going for minimal lift (6"), so if you end up in the 7-9" range the slip yoke that I used may not work you.

I would already have a d44 if I was able to buy the whole truck. My parents won't let me keep an entire truck here though, even if it's only for a short while. :( I'll probably still go with 4.88s, for the same reason you mentioned jrgaylor. I'll give the slip yoke a try, since it isn't that costly, and if I wasn't able to use it, I can always sell it.

Creager, I believe Kirby_N(?) has a 76 F150 axle. He said that his has the larger axle tubes...1/2". So you can look into that if you're wanting to go even stronger.

keep the truck? y? everything you need to pull takes a day with hand tool's and a grinder... call a scrap company to haul the carcase away when yer done... might even get something fer scrap value.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

But the way things are going, I won't have a full day or two any time soon to just pull everything off. That's just their rules. Nothing I can really do about it. :(

Back