• Register Today It's free!

Cutting fenders

Addam12

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT 4wd
I have a 2012 Explorer XLT. I'd like to know if anyone has cut their fenders to get bigger tires under the fenders? I've looked into the lift kits, but that is not going to give me axle clearance. I really want to put some taller and maybe wider tires to give me more ground clearance and put some flares on too.I have been thinking about also cutting the front shock rings to allow a wider tires in the front end. My end goal is to have bigger tires, fender flares, and some extra axle to ground clearance. I might even add a snorkel and front grill guard. Just wondering if by chance anyone has done this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Short answer is NO. At least no one has posted about doing it. You do realize the Explorer is really just a low to moderate off-road vehicle and has AWD and not 4WD regardless of the badging. You can come close to that if you have the terrain management system and use 'Sand Mode'. Adding all that extra weight in wheels and tires will put a lot of extra pressure on the suspension, braking system and the other electronic features. If you plan to take it off-road, you may want to look at skid plates and tow hooks. In any case, I sure would be interested in seeing it if you go ahead.

Peter

Addam12:

While I have not done this on an Explorer, I have done to it's predecessor, the BroncoII. All Bushwacher fender kits include instructions on exactly how and where to cut for the fender installation, if required.

Most of the cuts can be made with a metal blade on a Jigsaw, a cut-off wheel, Sawzall or even a common hack saw with the round blade; it would be the slowest but will do the job with the fender apron removed.

In regards to cutting the shock rings; I don't know what shock rings are?

Addam12:

While I have not done this on an Explorer, I have done to it's predecessor, the BroncoII. All Bushwacher fender kits include instructions on exactly how and where to cut for the fender installation, if required.

Most of the cuts can be made with a metal blade on a Jigsaw, a cut-off wheel, Sawzall or even a common hack saw with the round blade; it would be the slowest but will do the job with the fender apron removed.

In regards to cutting the shock rings; I don't know what shock rings are?
What I call the shock rings are the round rings on the front shocks.

Addam:

I just looked up what your front suspension used, those are called McPherson struts or struts, the rings on them are called coil springs.

They require a specail tool just to dissasemble (the unit is under appreciable tension) and I have to suggest buying springs designed to lower your vehicle over cutting those.

Well, you wont find any suspension lifts other than the spacer lifts you read about.. There are no other lift options. I run a 17inch wheel with a 4 inch backspace on 265/70r17 all terrain tires. I had mud tires for a while but they are just too heavy. I have the Traxda spacer lift. I had to trim the pinch weld in the front to get these wheels to work. I did also cut some of the fender liner and the short plastic valance up front in the corners as a, just in case. There is a guy that runs a huge tires on 20x10 wheels that he did for SEMA a few years ago, has custom fender flares as well but runs the same spacer lift I do.

You wont get much more axle clearance out of what we have available for these. You also wont find any fender flares, unless you make them yourself from another vehicle, custom or universal fitments..

I have a 2012 Explorer XLT. I'd like to know if anyone has cut their fenders to get bigger tires under the fenders? I've looked into the lift kits, but that is not going to give me axle clearance. I really want to put some taller and maybe wider tires to give me more ground clearance and put some flares on too.I have been thinking about also cutting the front shock rings to allow a wider tires in the front end. My end goal is to have bigger tires, fender flares, and some extra axle to ground clearance. I might even add a snorkel and front grill guard. Just wondering if by chance anyone has done this?
Well did you cut them? I have 31.5 inch tires on a spacer kit. I saw one company is actually making larger springs for our explorers now but I have not heard of anyone actually buying them. They are in the lift kit forum. I have not cut the fenders on mine but I did cut the wheel well pastic and bend down the pinch weld to make more room. When I did this on the drivers side I did pull off the plastic to look at it and I dont think it would be hard to cut at all. I did this on my 00 Jeep Cherokee a few years back and as long as you are really good at cutting you can make it look factory.

BTW Cutting the springs would not give you more ground clearance it would lower your vehicle. Plus as mentioned before this is a terrible idea. If you do cut them you would have to remove them first because they are under pressure and you will literally kill yourself. If you have to remove them anyway to cut them you might as well replace them. I know this is more expensive but have you ever ridden in a vehicle with cut springs? They ride like hot garbage. Not worth the time and if you want to go up then not what you want anyway. If money isnt an issue go with a set of air bagged struts. They can pump up and get you higher or lower which would be cool with the cut fenders.

Like Peter said it is AWD not really 4WD but I find that the explorer has a pretty good system and seems to do pretty well for what it is. You wont be doing any rock crawling but it should take a good amount of mud I think based on the snow performance I have seen with mine. That being said I would love a snorkel but I dont see how it is possible. Mine is a 2016 so maybe yours is different but my airbox pulls air from the front of the car. To mount a snorkel it looks like it would have to attach from the front grill basically and run down the drivers side and then up. If I am right it would look terrible.

Anyway if you do cut your fenders post it so others can see how it turned out.

Back