Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"
PICT5524.jpg

I am posting on this site so it might just help someone with the same problem I had instead of my project thread.

The pic is taken looking up to floor board, you might have to turn head to left HA HA. To the left is the plate that the roll cage is setting on. To the right is the frame that I have to connect tube frome plate to frame. Problem is I only have an 11" piece of tubing left and that is the shortest I can use. There are two different angles, so I have to get it right the first time. There are probably different ways to do this, but this has worked for me.

PICT5518.jpg

First I drew up a simple side view plan with all the info showing frame to the right and the plate to the left in relation to each other.

PICT5522.jpg

Next I laid tube on drawing so that both ends would intersect lines of the frame and plate. You can see that at its longest length that there is no room for error. And also that the top of the tube when cut will take up most of the 3" plate. Next I looked directly down and transfered the lines to the tubing. Square tubing would have been easier to mark then round.

PICT5523.jpg

Then to the vise and used saz-all to cut and then layed on template.

PICT5525.jpg

There, a nice fit and ready to be welded in. I actually don't like the angle it's on, but its all the tubing I had left, and don't feel like driving 30 some miles for another piece. so I'll add a gusset from frame to tube.

Good Info, and a great write up.
Derbytown

lol good idea, for bigger and longer ones u can just use Sin A formula

I was thinking you were going to teach trig to everyone as i started scrolling down. thats a good idea for short pieces. works better than my "guess an angle" technique i used on my bumper.

Back