Roll cage out of Square tubing?

bipolarbob

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna,British Columbia,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
OK, I have all of my carpet and back seats out.It's a long story, http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120359&highlight=stupidest+member+board

Now would be the time to put in a cage. I saw the In/Exo debate, and for me Interior forsure. I will be building a simple one, to the body not frame, but I do not own or have acess to a bender, and my square tubing bumper came out sweet! I may use one piece of round, above my head. The rest square. This would significantly simplify the project and also lower the cost.

Thoughts about that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone?

I think it would be cool. How simple? ties in to harnesses?

the square tubing will work just fine assuming you're design takes into account where the stresses will be once a roll over occurs. I would opt for round tubes but you gotta what you gotta do with what you have - so kudos to you.

what I would probably be more concerned about is that you are mounting the cage to the body. the body is a very very thin material (including the bottom of the body). putting forces on the rollcage such as those from a rollover would probably bend the body's floor and wherever/whatever else the cage is fastened to. if you take a peak at the body-to-chassis mounting bolts, there's not much body material underneath them. if i were you, i'd go straight to the chassis. it would take a little bit longer but i think its well worth it if you really expect to rollover your X.

just my $0.02 ..

There was a whole thread on Frame VS body mounting. I can see the side you are on. :D Maybe I will find it and re-read it. Maybe I should do a poll!
anyhoo, Thanks for the input. I have done lots of fabbing and welding, I was a millright, but I have never used a bender. So the square would be not too lame?

Ahhh no. You NEED to use 1450 for a roll cage or at LEAST DOM. You MUST attach it to your frame. I would suggest not going off roading or what ever you do until you do some research buddie.

Ahhh no. You NEED to use 1450 for a roll cage or at LEAST DOM. You MUST attach it to your frame. I would suggest not going off roading or what ever you do until you do some research buddie.
I hope that doesnt mean those w/o a roll cage cant off roading

1450 is a race class, not a metal.
4130 is a metal...and a darn nice one at that.

You don't need AT LEAST DOM, especially for a trail rig that won't be moving really fast. I'd shy away from sq. tubing mainly because of looks, and the fact that square corners/mitered joints will be way more prone to cracking.

The little "b" next to the original poster's name means he's banned. The little numbers above is username is the date. This particular one reads '2004'.

Dear Thread,

Happy early 5th Anniversary.

From all of us.

Dear Thread,

Happy early 5th Anniversary.

From all of us.

:D

Do you know how many ROPS (roll over protection) approved frames on Ag and Construction equiptment are made from square and rectangle tubing? You technically don't even have to use the special ROPS approved tubing if you can prove your design in a cold room with standard 1018 steel.

How many times does this topic have to come up? Some arshole rants about "HAS TO BE DOM" then the people with brains say something intelligent.

Thanks for the ROPS comment though... A tractor weighs a LOT more than any off-road rig I've seen and the square tubing will hold the entire weight of the thing... it's all about design...although I don't think many people have the engineering knowledge to build a safe square cage... or even tube for that matter...There are some squirelly looking cages out there.

We should find every thread written 5 years ago or more and make an uninformed, ignorant post in all of them! that would be fun!:D

A tractor weighs a LOT more than any off-road rig I've seen and the square tubing will hold the entire weight of the thing... it's all about design...
I agree but at the same time, a tractor isnt optimized for performance (weight) to a level as say a rock racer - so you can weld a 2"x4"-1/4" wall square tubing onto the tractor and no one is going to complain.

thank you this guy needs to learn his classes and his metals seriously

Back