CV joint angle ajustments after a TT? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CV joint angle ajustments after a TT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IZwack said:
WTF.. isnt that a contradiction? to say ur joking about the use of the word "girls" and then to mention "your panties" afterwards?

This is exaclty what I was talking about, don't get your panties in a bundle IZwack :rolleyes: and as to the girls part I was reffering to maxing out the tt lift if you would have read a little more carefully ... better now ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WTF.. isnt that a contradiction? to say ur joking about the use of the word "girls" and then to mention "your panties" afterwards?

Someone's panties are in a bundle ;) Haven't you heard of a figure of speech? lol

Nissanboy> What's that hybrid pack giving you for lift? I have a bone yard right behind me that has a 97 ranger, 0 rear sag, and a 98 Ex, 0 rear sag (that I can tell). Thinking of building a hybrid pack to get rid of the shackles, my ass end seems to shimmy more with them on, I don't like it. Scares me more without having sway bars =(.

Oh and on my 2" TT it is a but more of a stiff ride, but I want my truck to ride like a truck, not like grandma's cadillac.

FreeWheelin4x4 said:
Haven't you heard of a figure of speech?
no sorry i havent. is that something males say to each other?

IZwack said:
no sorry i havent. is that something males say to each other?

Yes it is, so now your in the know (informed) ;)

do you guys really understand what is going to happen to the ride with a maxed out TT? Every single bump in the road is going to be transferred to you, your suspension will have 0 downtravel, which means anytime your truck goes over a bump or through a crack/pothole, your truck will dive into that hole and then slam out of the other side. There is a video on here (i think its from Stic-0's cam) that shows just how much your suspension moves up and down on a drive down the road...i dont think you guys really want your truck to not have any downtravel. Its no about being a "girl" or a "man", its about not chipping your teeth and having a VERY VERY uncomfortable ride every day you drive down the street....but its up to you, if you want to have the most awful ride that you can...go for it.

slravene said:
do you guys really understand what is going to happen to the ride with a maxed out TT? Every single bump in the road is going to be transferred to you, your suspension will have 0 downtravel, which means anytime your truck goes over a bump or through a crack/pothole, your truck will dive into that hole and then slam out of the other side. There is a video on here (i think its from Stic-0's cam) that shows just how much your suspension moves up and down on a drive down the road...i dont think you guys really want your truck to not have any downtravel. Its no about being a "girl" or a "man", its about not chipping your teeth and having a VERY VERY uncomfortable ride every day you drive down the street....but its up to you, if you want to have the most awful ride that you can...go for it.

Mine is my daily driver and I would hardly describe the potholes and such I hit as teeth chattering, if you don't have this much tt and haven't experienced the ride personally please don't try to comment on it, if you don't know then your just mis-informing, obviously different people are going to have different opinions on this, and I personally didn't think there was much of a difference at all in the ride change between 2 - 5" - Just my .02 and I'm not trying to defend anything here, if I thought the ride was piss-poor I would deff let yall know ... and if your lifting, putting on bigger tires, how comfy of a ride are you expecting anyways ...

A larger TT allows you to run larger tires, so you can offset some of the harsh ride with tire pressures, etc. But I definately noticed my truck is much stiffer now, but again I need some adjustable 9000xs.

I blew up a CV today, had to get yanked out by a heep, so i wasn't too happy about that. But i pulled out a rubicon last weekend, so i guess i'm even with the heep world.

umm dont sit there and tell me that i havent done it...i have, you know not a thing about what i have done to my truck so dont act like you do. Secondly, off roading your performance WILL suffer with no downtravel. Downtravel is one of the most important aspects to trail riding, without it...you have no valuable flex. All im saying is that you do whatever the hell you want to do to your truck, but DONT ever try and tell someone that they dont know what they are talking about if you dont know what they have done or havent done to their truck. Thanks.

Take it easy guys, its only the internet.

im not angry at all, im just stating that there is no grounds behind telling someone that they dont know...when in reality i have been here and done this, and am speaking from my personal experience

ding ding and thats the end of round three folks

Travel and IFS dont generally belong in teh same sentence. I honestly could care less about which direction my travel is in offroad, Thats why i got a locker up front.

If you have 0 downtravel but can fit a 35" tire you wont lift a tire until a rig with with 1.5" of downtravel with a 33" tire lift and a truck with 3" of downtravel with a 31" tire does. The only thing is even if that tire touches the ground if it is on the unweighted side it still has very little traction. That is the nature of IFS.

Sure you will feel the bumps int he road but it will compensate with the uptravel. Sure you will drop in potholes hard but the bounce out isnt bad at all casue the uptravel take sit up some.

Yeah i tried teh Hybrids CV's and they wound up not working out so well b/c they wouldnt balance. I took em to a driveshaft shop about 10 times to get the rebalanced and never could get it right so i ditched em and went back stock.

I dissagree with you Nissan, as the drawing below will prove that tire size means nothing in your statement, thus negating your point of flex vs tire size.

flexout2qk.png

Now. Allow me to explain. The lowest thick black line is the ground with a simulated drop off with the skinny line showing the "continued" path of the ground. The thick black circles are the "35s" w/ axle lines and the thick red lines are the "33s" w/ axle lines. There are horizontal proportion lines running horizontal from both to show the theorectical path of these tires. With the "33s" being smaller, the axles are closer to the ground which is shown by the axle line from both (the skinny red and black lines). This being said, the blue lines are the approximate line of travel for when the tires drop off of the ledge. You will notice that they are parallel. This shows that the rear supension will have IDENTICAL flex patterns from tire size to tire size, as showing that tire size has no effect on flex patters to a certain extent (obviously once you get to the point of the blue line crossing the point of the drop off and you will get into the area of contact with the frame, but this isnt the study here, so that should be negated from thought).
With 0" of down travel, the rear end will compensate for all flex which will unload the rear suspension much quicker when the front of the truck drops into a hole. The front of the truck is much heavier than the rear which is why the front tires wouldnt just "float" when brought over a hole in the ground, it will drop into that hole, bringing the front of the truck downward to meet the ground, so then your "front locker" argument is as well....mute, the rear locker would be the important one here (in DOWNWARD travel, in upward travel, you are correct, a front locker would be VERY important here). Anyway, the point here is that without downtravel the rear axle would need to compensate for ALL flex where in the situation of having front downtravel, your front would cover for some of that flex. This would make the "blue lines" in the drawing be steeper for a vehicle with no downward travel which would cause the rear tire to lift before the smaller tire would (as shown before the flex patterns are IDENTICAL in both situations).
Sorry for this whole big rant, i just wanted to prove this situation by a simple drawing with an explanation. No hard feelings Nissan, as this was in NO WAY a personal attack on anyone. Still enjoy wheeling with you :D . I hope this can clear up any confusion in this debate. :confused:

ok who let the smart guy in

I am still wondering about the "the uptravel will compensate" part of the latest theory. When you have "torsioned out" your torsion bars, you have VERY limited up travel, which is easily felt by feeling all the bumps in the road, so how does this compensate for anything? Max torsioning the torsion bars gives you little to no travel in either direction.

Wtf

Hey, my thread was to answer a couple of questions, that I had. Then a few people decided to make it a pissing contest between differences of opinion. WTF guys! :confused: If you wanted to rant make your own thread. You should be ashamed, all this ranting did not answer any question I asked! :mad:

Your questions were answered in the first few posts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you joking me?!? These "pointless rants" are ALL branched off of your original post. Branches of a debate are all constituted in the same argument. If you are going to get angry and post in big red letters...please know what you are arguing about and try not to make yourself look like a big idiot. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back