CV joint angle ajustments after a TT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CV joint angle ajustments after a TT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenmtnboy

Reaction score
City, State
North Clarendon, Vt
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford F250
Is there anyway to correct the cv joint angle if you go over 3" with a TT lift? Also after a TT goes higher than 3" can the camber no longer be ajusted or is there other types of adjusters? Later - Nate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you will find the most common answer to your question is don't go over 2" with the TT. With the 2"TT you will need an alignment.

There is no way to correct the angle of the CV's when doing a tt. Also at 3" of tt, you will grenade those CV joints. Way too much angle for them.

I have 4-5" of tt, the camber CAN be adjusted, I have had this much tt for at least 10,000 miles and counting without a problem.

I never said camber could not be adjusted, because it can. If he is 4x4 though, he should limit his tt to 2". Any more than that and the angle on the CV's becomes too great and will cause them to fail. 2x4 Explorers can tt to the moon, it won't hurt the CV's because a 2x4 Explorer does not have CV joints.

Just curious, ExplorerSportNu, are you 4x4 or 2wd?

4wd

5" of tt on a 4x4!!!!! dayum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot to say that my X is 4wd. Anything less up here is just stupid!

jimbo74 said:
5" of tt on a 4x4!!!!! dayum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What he said! :eek:

That seems like asking for trouble.

Minei s about a 3.5" TT mabey a hair more. and im 4wd, and i wheel it hard, and i wheel it often, and i have yet to grenade a CV. OH yeah and i run 35's with a front locker.

I say this frequently on every forum i post on.

Try it before you supply it. No one wants to hear what you read somewhere and took for fact.

Now i will say that the CV's will wear faster the more you crank. I have almost 100k miles on my setup since i cranked the torsion bars up and still no cv problems. No popping no Clicking no binding.

Think of this now... IFS has a limited range of movement with Torsion bars. Ford knew the limits of travel when they designed it. Now do you think Ford would put a CV in the there that couldnt handle operating at all angles it could be subjected to throughout the range of movement?

nissanboy said:
Minei s about a 3.5" TT mabey a hair more. and im 4wd, and i wheel it hard, and i wheel it often, and i have yet to grenade a CV. OH yeah and i run 35's with a front locker.

Try it before you supply it. No one wants to hear what you read somewhere and took for fact.

Now i will say that the CV's will wear faster the more you crank. I have almost 100k miles on my setup since i cranked the torsion bars up and still no cv problems. No popping no Clicking no binding.

Think of this now... IFS has a limited range of movement with Torsion bars. Ford knew the limits of travel when they designed it. Now do you think Ford would put a CV in the there that couldnt handle operating at all angles it could be subjected to throughout the range of movement?

Count your lucky stars is all I have to say.

nissanboy said:

That’s what I never understood about the torsion twist for 4x4’s as well. The front end of these 2nd gens. has a fixed amount of travel (let’s say 8”), the cv’s are designed to work within that range of motion. Now,put the tire right in the middle, the cv is straight across: you would get 4” up & 4” down. Twisting the torsion bars will force the tires to drop (let’s say 2”) lifting the front 2”, now you have 2” of down travel and 6” up, no??? That’s within the designed range of the cv’s & shouldn’t cause any problems.

Maybe I’m looking at it wrong, but here is a quote from GJarrett on the TT:

“The torsion twist does not change wheel travel at all. But since you are lowering your wheels an inch or two by raising the front you are starting in a static position with some of your down travel already used up. You will have more articulation in compression and less in droop now. So however much lift you get is how much less droop articulation you will have. You're already using some of your down travel just sitting there.”

From that it seems that the cv’s shouldn’t bind. Now if you added longer arm or somehow added travel outside of the designed range, I could see where they would have problems.

I have my torsion bolts cranked all the way up and would still like more. I have longer bolts, but the arms of the torsion key are maxed up now, I don’t know how I could get any more lift with longer bolts…

The problem is that the CVs are now at a more extreme angle at normal ride height. The amount of travel does not change, and that is not the downfall off a TT.

Hartman said:
The problem is that the CVs are now at a more extreme angle at normal ride height. The amount of travel does not change, and that is not the downfall off a TT.

the problem is that the joint normally stays neutral and non loaded and only must deal with the angular stress every once and awhile.... now subject it to deal with that angular stress all the time, and you have something the joint wasnt designed to do....

look at a wobbly for your ratchet set.... try it straight on the socket, now try it at a 80* angle... which way is easier on it?

nissanboy said:

First of all, you have no idea what I have experienced in my life so take it easy. Second, I have many offroading buddies who have blown their CV joints due to excessive TT.

Ask questions before calling BS on someone.

nissanboy said:
Now i will say that the CV's will wear faster the more you crank.

Of course they will wear faster but all of those who are sying they will bind and cause breakage... thats just ignorant.

nissanboy said:

I didnt direct that comment at anyone in particular. It is just very annoying when individuals go to a website and read something then think it applies to every make and model out there. I dont know who the first to say 2" was enough torsion twist to cause problems with the CV's and im sure not amny on this forum could tell you who said it first eiher. I am also fairly sure that the first person who said that you may have CV issues with more than a 2" torsion twist grabbed that info from antoher forum for other makes and models.

With 100k miles on a 3.5" TT i really dont think 2" is the maximum operating angle. Just my opinion based on my experience. Try it for yourself CV's are dime a dozen at the junk yard.

nissanboy said:
Of course they will wear faster but all of those who are sying they will bind and cause breakage... thats just ignorant.

I didnt direct that comment at anyone in particular. It is just very annoying when individuals go to a website and read something then think it applies to every make and model out there. I dont know who the first to say 2" was enough torsion twist to cause problems with the CV's and im sure not amny on this forum could tell you who said it first eiher. I am also fairly sure that the first person who said that you may have CV issues with more than a 2" torsion twist grabbed that info from antoher forum for other makes and models.

With 100k miles on a 3.5" TT i really dont think 2" is the maximum operating angle. Just my opinion based on my experience. Try it for yourself CV's are dime a dozen at the junk yard.

I agree here a 100%, this 2" number and the theory that some hold that your cv's will spontaneously combust if you go much higher is a bunch of crap, now that does not mean that I don't think my cv's are going to wear faster due to the new angle, I do. Now the question should be how much faster will they wear, for my specific case, I have 192,000 miles on my od, so I had around 2" of tt for about 5,000 miles when I had my 33's, and I have had at least 10,000 miles and counting with the 35's and 4 - 5" of tt. I replaced one cv joint before I had any of the lift, so there is still one original cv joint with all that mileage and now the tt which has yet to fail, knock on wood. I will deff report the first failure I have and post the exact mileage I got before I had one fail with this much tt.

I am interested to hear what kind of mileage you get out ouf them cranked up like that. Perhaps you will get a good amount of miles out of it. Keep us updated.

I am over 3" for sure and have 100k miles on it since i cranked them up that much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont think anyone claimed that the CVs would physically come part if you go higher. The emphasis has always been on the issue of premature wear on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back