Damarble's 01 Sport, coil sprung HP D30 SAS, SOA, 33s, 4.56s, lockers | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Damarble's 01 Sport, coil sprung HP D30 SAS, SOA, 33s, 4.56s, lockers

Just finished the rear axle today, SOA with Aussie locker and 4.56 gears. Rear springs are shot from towing and still need to be replaced. Also I need to weld shock mounts on the axle. This will all be done after the front axle is installed. It is a HP Dana 30 with gears and a locker to be added in a few months. Front suspension will be a Y-link with XJ coils and Ballistic brackets. Steering and panhard will be stock XJ for now. Tires are 33/12.5/15 Interco Truxus M/Ts on Soft 8 wheels with stock Ford center caps.

08-07-08_2019.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Worst pics ever. It was dark and my only camera with flash is awful.

PB110009.jpg

PB110012.jpg

My buddies XJ:
PB110011.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Oh and I need some ideas. My stock power steering pump is not up to the task. It was whining like mad today and must have boiled the fluid because it overflowed out the top of the reservoir. I'm assuming the OHV pumps will not bolt on. I'm not opposed to making whatever bracket is needed. In that case I should be able to go bigger, any suggestions?

Working on frame sliders the last two evenings. Got the main pieces cut out and ready to be welded. Probably do that tomorrow and then start on the legs.

I'm just using 1/8" wall tubing, it seems too hold up plenty well without being too heavy. The tubing under the rockers is 2x3", the outside tube is 1.9" OD Sch40 standing off 2" and curved at the ends, the legs are 2x2" (with 1x2" diagonal bracing), the plates against the frame are 3/16" 4x6". They will be welded on instead of bolts, for one I think it will be stronger, but two, and most importantly, it will be easier! :p:

Coming along.

10-08-08_1827.jpg

The legs to the frame are a total beotch. Got one side half way done. Apparently these frames aren't even symmetrical, so I can't copy the first side for the other side.

Finally got everything to fit. They are about 1/4 welded up now.

10-09-08_1831.jpg

The drivers side bends in more than the passenger, as much as an inch.

Sliders are fully welded and ready for install. And since there's no rest for the wicked I picked up steel for the front bumper. Scrap pile FTW, it's all 3/16 and cost less than $40.

DSCI0062.jpg

DSCI0065.jpg

Damn Jeep parts...
DSCI0035.jpg

DSCI0045.jpg

oh **** lol..

that sucks. where the ball joints old or new?

Yikes! Guess it'll be time for that HP D44 sooner than you thought!

They were the old ones. The guy that setup my gears said they were OK so I didn't bother replacing them.

It probably still won't be too soon that I get the D44. Not really in the budget now. Yesterday cost me $250, dolly rental, new ball joints all around and new axle shafts.

hehe nice carnage dude! My 01 is getting this treatment soon.

Birfield joints?

Oops! What year XJ is that axle out of?

you could just upgrade it to a super 30.. then you wouldnt need a d44

hehe nice carnage dude! My 01 is getting this treatment soon.

Birfield joints?

Eh the u-joints are fine, just need to upgrade to the 297X joints instead of the little 260Xs, which I did today. :)

Oops! What year XJ is that axle out of?

91 or so, not sure exactly I didn't get to pull it.

you could just upgrade it to a super 30.. then you wouldnt need a d44

But oh so tempting to get a D44. Theres a 79 Bronco at the JY right now... $90... I really should just go get it...

I did get gas tank and transfer case skids, second set of shafts for the 8.8 and D30, power steering pump from a F150, auto trans cooler from an Ex for a power steering cooler, and some misc stuff.

Also grabbed a set of 8.8 disc brake assemblies, they are very rare and are grabbed up quickly. A 96 had just come in this morning. I'll save them for my next axle upgrade so I can sell my current 8.8 hub to hub to the Jeep guys for big $$$. How does full width D44 and 8.8 sound? :chug:

Back