Damarble's 01 Sport, coil sprung HP D30 SAS, SOA, 33s, 4.56s, lockers | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Damarble's 01 Sport, coil sprung HP D30 SAS, SOA, 33s, 4.56s, lockers

Just finished the rear axle today, SOA with Aussie locker and 4.56 gears. Rear springs are shot from towing and still need to be replaced. Also I need to weld shock mounts on the axle. This will all be done after the front axle is installed. It is a HP Dana 30 with gears and a locker to be added in a few months. Front suspension will be a Y-link with XJ coils and Ballistic brackets. Steering and panhard will be stock XJ for now. Tires are 33/12.5/15 Interco Truxus M/Ts on Soft 8 wheels with stock Ford center caps.

08-07-08_2019.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh man sorry to hear that!

If its any consolation the work you have done so far looks good, I love the wood mock up!!

You could ship that wooden mock up around to EF members who want to do a similar swap :)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

looks like only the sway bar will be in the way. could you just redo the mounts and save some money?

The track bar and steering stabilizer brackets are also in the way and would have to be moved.

Got another set of knuckles today...

Jeep got it right with the bumpstop/spring retainer. Robbed these off a XJ and welded them to my brackets.

09-04-08_2120.jpg

Well, thats... pretty phallic ... "better not bring yo keeeds" :)

Dave%20Chapelle%203.jpg

The tube is 2" OD and the rubber isolator bumps up to 2.5". I didn't get a measurement on the bumpstop bolt, but looked about 3/8".

Filled the power steering today, no leaks so far. Installed brakes and partially bled them. Pulled off my pitman arm today, I had reamed it out for the Chevy drag link end and now found I need to use stock Jeep steering, with a much smaller drag link end.

It's out of the garage!

09-06-08_1649.jpg

that fits in there nicly. :) and side shots?

It still needs to go 2" higher, I have 7.5" Rubicon Express TJ coils (220 lbs/foot) on order. It's currently sitting on stock XJ coils which are way too short and too soft (~150 lbs/ft). I had the lower the adjustable coil buckets so far just to get it at current height that they are almost touching the steering stabilizer bracket. (No uptravel whatsoever.)

09-07-08_1859.jpg

Almost scored a HP D44 from a 78 Bronco for $100 but I waited too long and missed out. :mad:

Instead I pulled a gas tank skid plate from a 4 door and a set of leaves from a Mounty. Hoping the skid will mount up without too much modification and the leaves should restore my rear ride height.

Arg! Brake issues! I think I got air in the ABS system. I would like to either remove the ABS completely or convert to RABS if not too difficult. Preferably just remove it. Apparently I'll need a proportioning valve and need to leave the electronic part hooked up?

very nice!

Brakes fixed today. Removed the ABS module and installed a porportioning valve from a XJ. Had to buy a flare tool and convert all the fittings over. But it stops now!

Drove it around a bit to shake stuff out. Not too many bugs left.

Next on the list is the front swaybar. The rig is very tippy right now. I had grabbed a swaybar off a first gen but it will contact the frame side trackbar mount. Turns out the swaybar I have from a FSJ is the right size. Slightly wider and the same diameter.

Also I have a nasty squeak from the passenger side control arm. Don't know if the ballistic joint was prelubed or not, I'll be taking a look tomorrow.

My 7.5" Rubicon springs are here are too long... Not sure how this will work out. My buddy has 3.5" RE's on his XJ and we might trade.

And my steering shaft is at an odd angle and binds making steering interesting. Will be modifying that.

09-20-08_1226.jpg

09-20-08_1224.jpg

09-20-08_1222.jpg

Hey mate that looks great. How about some more suspension shots. I think I will be doing this exact setup in mine if you dont mind I just need more info and pics

The build should be about "finished" this week and I'll add more info and pics.

For today I put on the front swaybar. I used a swaybar I had laying around from a 84 Jeep J10 and the connecting links from a 1st gen Ex. Everything lines up perfect completely by accident. I couldn't use the 1st gen Ex swaybar because it interfered with my upper track bar mount. I can't try it out yet because I removed the botched steering shaft and haven't made a new one yet.

Tomorrow I need to stop at the junkyard and get a front driveshaft from an XJ, steerings shafts from a 1st and 2nd gen Ex, and shocks for the front (temporary). Plus put in a call to Tom Woods for their front tranny output adapter.

After some reading I learned another member used an Aerostar steering shaft in a 2nd gen to connect to a Yota box. Well it just happens to connect to a 1st gen box as well so I have my steering shaft in with no modifications. Turns just as smooth as stock, no binding at all.

Tried to drive the rig after installing the steering shaft and discovered my swaybar was too wide and the tires rubbed. Removed it and now am looking for other options. Bolted the stocker back up but it interferes with the coils springs. Need to find something, it's way to tippy like it is now.

how much do you think you spent total on the swap? im so jealous :p

So What the plan for the vacuum dissconnect? or are you planning on leaving it locked all the time in the front?

Back