• Register Today It's free!

dana 30 sas

jacobmc

Reaction score
City, State
wetumpka,alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ranger
i want to put a dana 30 srtaight axle with coil under my ranger and i want to know how yhe spring mount up to the truck i noticed its different than a ranger. i have a 4in lift on it now do i need to purchase 4in jeep springs?

How they mount on the frame? The jeep just uses a little tab on the bottom to hold the coil (vs the huge nut and washer of the ford) and the top mounts over a long tube, which doubles as a bump stop. The ford coil is basically screwed in up top with that tab and can't come out. The Jeep coils nothing but vehicle weight holds the coil in...w/o swaybars and long arm suspension you can flex far enough the coils slide down from the frame side...but that center tube keeps them from going anywhere.

I just put on stock 4.0 I6 Grand Cherokee front springs in my exploder...the jeep ones are a good 5"+ longer but have significantly smaller diameter coils. It was a PITA, and I got the exact same ride height...which pissed me off and wasn't what I wanted. However, with longer shocks I'd get crazy droop out of this setup. The V8 Jeep coils are beefier FWIW.

Back