• Register Today It's free!

dana 35 rebuild question

tyler0904

Reaction score
City, State
orange
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer
I am in the middle swapping gears out on my 1994 ford explorer to 4.56 and have a question on the correct way to install the shims for pinion depth. Are you suppose to install the shims between the inner race and baffle or in-between the big oil slinger and the pinion gear? All help is greatly appreciated thanks!

I am in the middle swapping gears out on my 1994 ford explorer to 4.56 and have a question on the correct way to install the shims for pinion depth. Are you suppose to install the shims between the inner race and baffle or in-between the big oil slinger and the pinion gear? All help is greatly appreciated thanks!
Pinion bearings: FRONT, closest to driveshaft, REAR, farthest from driveshaft. Shims are used at the REAR location, between the bearing and the gear itself to locate the pinion properly for correct mesh with the ring gear. Shims are also used, usually a thick "crush washer" between the two bearings, to establish bearing preload.

Pinion bearings: FRONT, closest to driveshaft, REAR, farthest from driveshaft. Shims are used at the REAR location, between the bearing and the gear itself to locate the pinion properly for correct mesh with the ring gear. Shims are also used, usually a thick "crush washer" between the two bearings, to establish bearing preload.

Perfect! I guess my Yukon master rebuild kit must be not 100% accurate because it came with shins to go between the rear bearing race. Yes it does have a crush sleeve for bearing preload.

Back