dash lights and fogs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dash lights and fogs

Reaction score
City, State
York PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
i have a 91 explorer xlt and i just recently started having problems with the dash lights flickering or going out then coming back on after i hit a bump i can also sometimes get them to come on if i knock on the dash around the headlamp switch. any ideas what it could be?

also i was wondering if the first gen explorers ever cam with factory fog lights i really want fogs but i like to keep it looking factory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as the factory foglights goes, Limited Edition vehicle came with them in the front valence and Navejos also came with a different style.

Fog lights were optional starting in 93 on XLTs and Eddie Bauers, with the power equipment package. There is a special bracket assembly for these trucks as the location was different from that of the Limited. There is also a special valence panel available from LMC truck for these, you can cut yours to make it work. That is all ford did anyway. You can find the lights on ebay, but they are pricey.

For the dash light problem, i had a similar issue with a 89 ranger. The problem with the dimming circuit for the dash lights, is when you turn it down in the older style, it wastes the excess power as heat. That caused the plastic connector that plugs into it to get a little out of shape and let the wires get loose. Pull it out and get a really good look at the connector. If you find that it is indeed the problem, i fixed mine with some liquid electrical tape to hold things into the correct position.

sounds like a bad switch or wiring problem.

Back