• Register Today It's free!

Dash lights not working

Capt Phil

Reaction score
City, State
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4X4 4.0
Gentlemen, I have a 2003 xlt 4x4 4.0 auto headlights with fog lights as well. I noticed yesterday my dash lights were not working. All gauges and dummy lights work fine, speedo etc. The number 16 fuse under the hood was blown. I replaced it and it blew with in minutes. Any suggestions on what could be the issue here? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gentlemen, I have a 2003 xlt 4x4 4.0 auto headlights with fog lights as well. I noticed yesterday my dash lights were not working. All gauges and dummy lights work fine, speedo etc. The number 16 fuse under the hood was blown. I replaced it and it blew with in minutes. Any suggestions on what could be the issue here? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.
I had this problem last week my girlfriend had her rear window break out for not reason and for 20more bucks the junk yard gave her a whole back hatch well it is not off an xlt and the rear running lights are on same fuse and the harness will plug in yes but is not wired correctly because it's off the different sub modle and continued to pop fuse my suspicious for your issue would've wiring near running lights and above the hatch where the bend all the time

I had this problem last week my girlfriend had her rear window break out for not reason and for 20more bucks the junk yard gave her a whole back hatch well it is not off an xlt and the rear running lights are on same fuse and the harness will plug in yes but is not wired correctly because it's off the different sub modle and continued to pop fuse my suspicious for your issue would've wiring near running lights and above the hatch where the bend all the time
Thanks for the reply....much appreciated. I found the issue last night. The previous owner had a rats nest of a wiring job on the aftermarket stereo and amp. I ripped it all out and installed a new stereo and cleaned everything up.....all is working fine now. Thanks again for the reply!

I have the same dash light problem, everything still works except there is no illumination for speedometer and fuel gauge. I haven't had it for to long, mine is a 2003 xlt 2wd. The spot with the bend would indicate a broken wire correct??

I have the same dash light problem, everything still works except there is no illumination for speedometer and fuel gauge. I haven't had it for to long, mine is a 2003 xlt 2wd. The spot with the bend would indicate a broken wire correct??
If issue is limited to illumination of sections of your instrument cluster, sounds like you have burnt out cluster bulbs behind the dash.

If you replace the burnt out cluster bulbs, replace all (six?) of the cluster bulbs.

Good luck.

Yes broken wire or possibly a bad ground or connection

Yes broken wire or possibly a bad ground or connection
Thank you, sorry it took so long to see the response. You wouldn't happen to know a link to how to get the dash cluster out would you?? THIA.

There is an excellent write-up in this Forum. Use the “Search Bar” and look for “How to Remove Cluster 22 pictures”.

I continue to believe that you will find burnt out dash bulbs, rather than broken wires, Good luck.

There is an excellent write-up in this Forum. Use the “Search Bar” and look for “How to Remove Cluster 22 pictures”.

I continue to believe that you will find burnt out dash bulbs, rather than broken wires, Good luck.
Thank you, I will check around. I apologize it took so long to get back, work is crazy.

Back