• Register Today It's free!

dash lights

offroadLAX

Reaction score
City, State
Myrtle Beach, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' XLT
Is there a way to change the color of the dash lights without getting a whole new face?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the only way that i found out to do was to remove the whole gauge cluster, and remove the black face of the gauges and scrape off the green film on the back of the face. Then replace all the bulbs with LED's with the color of your choice, make shure they are high intensity, and wide angle. This involves poping off the needles so remeber where your gas is at and and put the other's in the same general position.

The RPM gauge is a bit tougher, before you remove the cluster, start your car and let it warm up and see where it idles at after a while, mine idles at 500 so, in order to put the needle back on, you ahve to hook up the clsuter, start the car and wait, and then put it on while the cars on.

The speedo is even harder, when you remove the little black stopper that keeps the needle from going off the chart, you will notice that it falls drastically, so do the same thing you did for the RPM but put the needle on pointing down. and then push it up and put the black stoper in and drive around, adjusting the needle until you think it is accurate.

I did all this the day i got my wisdom teeth removed, so you should be able to do it no problem

ok thanks... are there just regular bulbs in the back of the guage cluster or do I have to wire in the LED's another way?

ok I have blue LED's but they have a straight beam to it.... if I were to cut off the tip would that make it have a wide beam?

My dash lights dont even work.. i cant find the problem.....

Does anyone know what the color film is on a 96 explorer?

On the 96 I believe that the color comes from a green jacket on the bulbs themselves. Not 100% sure. Are your needles the same color as the numbers at night?

My dash lights dont even work.. i cant find the problem.....

If you have no blown fuses, my guess is the problem is either the dimmer or the main light switch.

ok I have blue LED's but they have a straight beam to it.... if I were to cut off the tip would that make it have a wide beam?

What kind of LEDs are you talking about? Are they normal 5mm LEDs or are they actual 194LEDs. Only the 194s will be plug and play.

These are the ones I used
LED_W_2.jpg

If i were to do this mod again I would try using these. Since I haven't used them I cant say that they will work in the cluster.
LED_194_5LED_W.jpg

Click the links in my sig for more info.

ok hold up i am readin into this a little more... are the bulbs in the dash cluster white and the film on the cluster face green? all i have to do i scrape off the green film and put a thin layer of blue paint on it.... right? or am i completely off?

ok hold up i am readin into this a little more... are the bulbs in the dash cluster white and the film on the cluster face green? all i have to do i scrape off the green film and put a thin layer of blue paint on it.... right? or am i completely off?

Not sure if the gauge has film if it does then the answer to your question is yes. I did it to my 92 explorer Gauge. turned out nicely, try and use a glass paint though.

ok.... is it possible to just scrape off the film (if it has it) and then buy blue replacement bulbs... and where can i find them?

Didn't try the bulbs but I'd imagine if the bulb is bright enough that it'd work because the way the gauge face is made it kinda makes the light expand kinda, (i'm hard of explaining). Kinda the texture like of the gauges. But they coulda changed the texture through the years.

ok gotcha... now what about the needles.... I want to make a different color... is that possible.... does anyone acutally have pictures of how they did this so when i do it i actually know what i am doin? thanks

The needles I'm not sure of. I'm going to do my 2nd gen ones now. When you say "how they did it" do you mean to take the dash apart or scraping the film off or??

I can figure out how to take off the dash and guage cluster pretty easy but i dont know how to scrape off the film or wire up the LEDs (or whatever lights i end up using)

If you use 194 LED's its plug and play (should be) when scraping the film use flat head screw driver or utility knife blade just be VERY careful, because the plastic face of the gauge can be damaged if you use a sharp edge on it the wrong way (I know). I had used a flathead, it takes time but this next time I'm going to attempt to use a utility knife blade (blade being out of the knife of course) so hopefully it will do it in a wider area.

ok thanks man.... I am gunna start this next weekend? i will try to post pictures

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, good luck, hope to see your results.

Back