Dead instrument cluster. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dead instrument cluster.

[JaNuS]

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
New here and seeking some answers. Thank you.

I was driving the other day when the instrument cluster and MFT suddenly died. Car was still responsive to throttle and brake. Air-conditioning still running. Stopped on the side of the road and killed the engine. Waited for a minute and started the Explorer again.

Explorer will run. Throttle and brakes still responsive. Instrument cluster still dead. MFT will only turn on when the power is pressed, but will turn off showing the batter saver message.

Got back home. Checked fuses. No blown fuse that's related to the instrument cluster. All lights working, headlights, fogs, turn signals, hazard, internal lights and dash lights.

Is this a possible faulty instrument cluster or should I have the Explorer scanned?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.
A weak or bad battery can cause all kinds of weird things to happen but I don't recall it affecting the IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster). I get that Battery Saver message quite often because I don't drive the Explorer enough. I just put the charger on it and I'm good to go again. So far, there have never been any issues. It may be a good idea to have the battery checked first to eliminate it as a possible problem.

Peter

I have charged the battery and it's still the same. I hope it's not a faulty instrument cluster.

I don't know if something like this would result in a trouble code being stored or not. You can hav that checked but at this point, a dealer visit may be in order. Is it just the 2 information displays that are out? I'm guessing the speedometer is working?
You may want to check out this thread. Instrument Display/Cluster(s) Going Out Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a post with a resolution.

Peter

Actually, everything is dead. When I pull out the 10 amp fuse for the cluster, the speedometer will light up for a second then turn off.

Check your voltage while it's running. As it's been said low voltage will cause crazy issues. While running you should be between 13-14.5v.

Most nice scanners can pull codes directly from the instrument cluster, don't need to make the Ford dealer the first stop but the auto parts stores can't help.

Back