• Register Today It's free!

instrument cluster

sallen

Reaction score
City, State
Mobile Al.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
I just replaced my 1996 explorer instrument cluster with a 1998 instrument cluster and the new one shows the engine overheating but its not. my 1996 has a v8 and the new one had a v6. could this be the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A temp needle that is not corectly placed into the motor gear...

don't know what you mean or how to correct it.

maybe the '96 and '98 used a different temp sensor. check one of the auto parts sites and see if they're different.

edit: i just did a quick look on Rock Auto's site. the temp senders are different, these kinds of senders work on ohms resistance. if the '98 uses a sender with more resistance the '96 sender will cause the gauge to read higher. if the '98 sender will not screw into your '96 engine, you can go to Radio Shack and buy some resistors and put them between the sender and the gauge wire to bring the needle down to where it should be.

A big thank you for the great answers.

I have the same thing on my 96 V8, I assume the cluster is original. The only thing in the circuit that could cause this, AFAIK, is a resistor in parallel with the coolant temp gauge.

I tried swapping senders and swapping the temp gauge itself. The resistor must live on the instrument cluster board.

I wired in a 13 ohm resistor in series with the sender and it does work, although the needle is not as sensitive as it should be. (the gauge only shows about 1/3 to hot when at operating temperature). It did, however, keep the "check gage" light from staying on.

where did you get the resister and where did you put it? Thanks

Sorry for the late reply. It was a 13 ohm ceramic resistor bought off Amazon, wired in-line with the temp sender on the engine.

On a related note - Are the 95-97 and 98+ clusters otherwise interchangeable? Are the connectors in the same spots?

Don't some of the early clusters have a real oil-pressure gauge while all others use the dummy gauge?

Don't some of the early clusters have a real oil-pressure gauge while all others use the dummy gauge?

Its all in the sender on the engine. The one that on there is a 5psi pressure switch so as long as it has at least 5psi the gauge will read normal. You can swap it out with an aftermarket sender and do something to your cluster to get it to full sweep, I don't remember exactly though.

As I understand it, sometime around '97 some minor changes were made to the cluster. I know that the Check Engine light location changed; not sure what other warning lights moved. I have never heard that the guages themselves changed. Good luck.

Back