• Register Today It's free!

!@#$ Dead Tranny...what to do?

Big Red

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4WD
So, I was just doing some light trails with a friend out on their property when I sunk into a hole and bottomed out. I started spinning tires like crazy trying to get but to no avail. About 15 minutes later we finally got my Ex. pulled out and it looked like she had been shot and bled to death. There was Transmission fluid everywhere and she would not shift into any other gear than 1st. Since I only live about a mile away I decided to drive her home at about 2-5 mph. During that 15 minute period she got really hot and I still drove her home even though she was bordering the red for overheating. I got her home and she continued losing fluid. Finally got her towed to a shop and they said that I need to rebuild it b/c it was without fluid for too long. My other option is buying a used tranny.

My question is, do I rebuild? Do I buy an already rebuilt tranny, or do I pull one myself from the junkyard and put it in myself? Is it worth looking into a manual swap? etc. etc. I would really appreciate any help because the shop is asking $1700 for a rebuild and I just don't have that kinda money. What would be the cheapest and best options? Thanks in advance.

Big Red

Oh, and it's a 1991 XLT, 4X4, D4 (3.73 gears) and I am assuming an A4LD?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if u get another one out of a junkyard get one out of a 94 because it has most of the updates that came out for it It is an a4ld and a manual conversion would be a good idea but u must get parts from a 91-92 because 93-94 is slightly different from what im told

Did you drop the pan to see if anything broke off inside? Start by replacing the filter, and fluid. You might be able to get some more mileage out of it.

My dad said that he tried to put more fluid in but after about two quarts it started leaking out again, so there is deffinately a seal that is broken (at the very least). Also from what I hear, the shop said that the tranny was driven for too long while it was empty so something burnt? I am not sure, they were very vague. What should I do? any ideas? Also, is there a write up on the conversion to manual? How hard would it actually be to do this? Can anyone just give me an idea of what will need to be replaced? Like transfer case, driveshafts, etc. Thanks again guys.

Big Red

as far as a manual conversion is concerned u need 1)a manual tranny 2)clutch 3)pcm 4)pedals 5)resivoir 6)carpet (or at least cut a hole) 7)pilot bearing hell it would be better to just find a manual x cheap and just start swappin

you probably blew the pump seal and or the bolts that hold the bellhousing on started to leak and that is what is leaking upon heating

If I do find a manual X cheap, does everything work to just start swapping? I mean can you just bold a manual tranny up or do you need conversion hardware? If you can't tell...I am clueless. Thanks again,

Big Red

Back