Delphi fuel pumps. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Delphi fuel pumps.

Your original tank definitely has some rust in it and, for the price, changing it is a good call, but I've changed the fuel filters on all the used Explorers I've purchased and they always have crap like that in them (probably never, or infrequently, changed by the PO's. Ford recommends every 30,000 miles).

Later on I've dropped the fuel tanks on every one of these vehicles, to replace fuel pumps, and every tank (most with over 200k on them, one with closer to 300k) has been clean as can be. I guess where you live (climate-wise), how much ethanol is in the fuel you use, how much time the vehicle sits unused and whether it sits outside has a lot to do with rusting.

I've always heard that you should always fill the fuel tank on vehicles that will sit for long periods unused to prevent condensation and rust from forming in the fuel tank, but that was before the common use of ethanol blended fuels. There's a product/fuel additive I've seen advertised on the classic car repair TV shows which forms a barrier in the fuel tank to prevent future rust. I've sold most of my classic cars, but it seems like a good idea to use it in any vehicle that sits for long periods unused.

BTW, BP/AMOCO premium gasoline is never blended with ethanol, or alcohol.

As of now i am not going to buy a tank yet as i am hoping i can get away with not needing one.3 years ago when my mechanic changed the filter he said nothing about rusty gas coming out so i am hoping it doesn't have that going on.I guess if he gets into it and finds that its rusty i will go pick one up.Previous owner would let the truck sit for a couple months at a time with no use.

Back